More Tibetans Self Immolations Expected

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

More Tibetans Self Immolations Expected

Postby phantom59 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Patrols of five policemen, with four on the outside of the patrol with machine guns and one in the middle with a fire extinguisher," Saunders said.Through the Tibetan city of Amdo Ngaba, posters have been appearing promising more cases of self-immolation

Rex K. (0) Thursday October 20, 2011, 7:49 am
A wave of protest has fanned across the Tibetan region recently: the self-immolation of Buddhist Monks. Five Tibetan teenagers have self-immolated in just one week, and a further three self-immolated and died since March of this year. The cases of protest are occurring in Tibetan ethnic regions of China's Sichuan province, largely around Kirti Monastery of Eastern Tibet, which has witnessed a large security crackdown by Chinese forces since the immolations began in March, and a forced exodus and ‘patriotic re-education programme' of around three-hundred Tibetan monks.

http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx ... +measures#

The protesters, all reportedly monks or ex-monks, are calling out in the most powerful manner they can without harming others, highlighting the growing discontent and need to address the situation in Tibet, for an international intervention for basic human and religious freedoms, and for Tibetan freedom.

Through the act of burning themselves to death, by going against the very wishes of their spiritual leader the Dalai Lama- and by performing violence against themselves, the monks sin against Buddhism itself - what is the symbolism of their desperate actions. And why immolation?

The notion of a devout Buddhist monk considering taking a life is inconceivable to many, and Tibetan Buddhists particularly are renowned for their pacifist, mild manner. This is a view that aligns with their spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama. Yet with mounting suppression of cultural and religious identity, Tibetans remain vigilantly unwilling to hurt the very people that harm them, a stance that, in other situations, remains alarmingly rare in the 21st century.
The act of immolation does not intend to hurt anyone but the perpetrator. It is both solemn and macabre.

The young monks who take their lives, all of whom are aged below 30, have turned to themselves as a means of expressing their anguish, to their own bodies as a tablet on which to write their message to the world.

The symbolism of the body being destroyed in such a public, excruciating manner, highlights the need for a voice among the voiceless, an identity among the masses. It ties in symbolically with the Buddhist belief, that one should be the selfless, and the impermanent nature of one's body. It reflects the deep seated belief of the revered Bodhisattva Medicine King, who repeatedly set his body ablaze for twelve hundred years, in an effort to spread the light of Dharma, according to the Lotus Sutra.

http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/outlook/ ... immolation
phantom59

Re: More Tibetans Self Immolations Expected

Postby Thug4lyfe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 am

I am questioning if this is helping.... :?

Since ultimately Tibet's situation is depending on the Chinese population's attitude toward them. Self-immolation has already gotten a bad rep in China due to that evil cult Falun Gong...

Guess human passion and attachment will not heed Dalai Lama's wise calls about not doing this sort of thing. If anything, this line of thinking of using extreme means (including killing yourself) is closer to the communist revolution ideas than the Buddhist teachings.
Thug4lyfe

Postby Tamangi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:24 am

Food_Eatah wrote:I am questioning if this is helping.... :?

Since ultimately Tibet's situation is depending on the Chinese population's attitude toward them. Self-immolation has already gotten a bad rep in China due to that evil cult Falun Gong...

Guess human passion and attachment will not heed Dalai Lama's wise calls about not doing this sort of thing. If anything, this line of thinking of using extreme means (including killing yourself) is closer to the communist revolution ideas than the Buddhist teachings.

I agree, I dont think its helping.

Cant comprehend what must be happening for them to do that to themselves :(

I have been told the same thing about Falun gong (that its evil) by someone who lived in China...but dont know anything about it. Can you explain to me about it please
Tamangi

Postby Bonsai Doug » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Self-immolation, as I see it as a Buddhist, goes against the very foundation of my beliefs.
To guide the spiritual aspirant, the application of Buddhist ethical principles has given rise
to a number of sets of precepts, or training principles. Foremost in almost every list is the
precept against killing or harming living beings. I have to believe this also refers to one's self.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Bonsai Doug

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 am

Tamangi wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote:I am questioning if this is helping.... :?

I agree, I dont think its helping.

Cant comprehend what must be happening for them to do that to themselves :(

I have been told the same thing about Falun gong (that its evil) by someone who lived in China...but dont know anything about it. Can you explain to me about it please

The leader claims he has supernatural powers, knows how to heal people with Qigong by harnessing the "Dharmawheel" within people's bodies. Apperently he also saying he is more powerful than the Buddha etc. It's very unfortunate he gets funds by the USA to spread anti-Chinese goverment propagandas. Because the corruption and human rights issues of the Chinese goverment, many people ignorant to Buddhism unknowingly supports this evil cult.
Thug4lyfe

Postby Thug4lyfe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:14 am

Bonsai Doug wrote:Self-immolation, as I see it as a Buddhist, goes against the very foundation of my beliefs.
To guide the spiritual aspirant, the application of Buddhist ethical principles has given rise
to a number of sets of precepts, or training principles. Foremost in almost every list is the
precept against killing or harming living beings. I have to believe this also refers to one's self.

I really wish Buddhism can become prominent in China again, and surely once more population becomes Buddhists and Highly cultivated masters can return to China from Taiwan, there will be a good chance Tibet and China will be all :heart: :heart:

Western leaders are only "helping" Tibet for political reasons. :( In the end, all young men caught in difficult situations will act in extreme ways regardless what religion we adhere to :(
Thug4lyfe

Postby Mr. G » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 pm

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Return to News & Current Events