Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Do you use: Linux, Mac, Windows or Other OS

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Linux
24%
Mac
32%
Windows
40%
Other
4%

Total votes: 25

edearl

Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Post by edearl »

Just learning how to set up a pool, actually. But, decided to offer my services to anyone who wants to download and run a simple Linux system--I'm not an expert, but have been using Linux for years. There are many experts who will give advice over the internet for free, just in case. Linux does not have drivers for all hardware, but it runs on many PCs. It has a package comparable with MS Office that is quite good. Some people run Linux on an older system, that is too small to run the latest Windows. Best of all, Linux is easy to download and install, and the price is right, $0.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
zangskar

Re: Poll: Which Operating System Do You Use?

Post by zangskar »

Dual-boot of Windows XP/Ubuntu on an old but still quite functional 3ghz Pentium, and Lubuntu on a very old laptop. I have a USB stick with a small bootable Puppy Linux image.

Lubuntu is great for old/slow hardware, and takes much less memory/resources than Xubuntu. Butor really, really old hardware, or just for the sake of pure old school simplicity, Puppy Linux is great and very user friendly in my opinion. :)

Best wishes
Lars
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I use an iMac. Superior machine.

Linux is ok, but I am no longer a systems engineer and I am too busy to worry about running shell scripts, recompiling apps, and so on. I used to use linux all the time, but mostly for network hacking when I worked as a systems engineer. Also, I have zero interest in unix as a hobby. I like the user experience on OS X. I used to be a certified MSCE, but I hate Windows. Windows sucks.

N
maybay

Post by maybay »

Ubuntu's come a long way in the last few years Namdrol. Once its setup its a breeze.
Its a pity about Unity though. Gnome 2 was just fine. Hardware support is the main issue for me.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
edearl

Post by edearl »

Namdrol wrote:I use an iMac. Superior machine.

Linux is ok, but I am no longer a systems engineer and I am too busy to worry about running shell scripts, recompiling apps, and so on. I used to use linux all the time, but mostly for network hacking when I worked as a systems engineer. Also, I have zero interest in unix as a hobby. I like the user experience on OS X. I used to be a certified MSCE, but I hate Windows. Windows sucks.

N
I use OpenSUSE, which doesn't require any scripting. It is all windows based, easy to install and easy to update.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mac.
Windows is a nightmare.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

I've been using Debian Linux for quite a while, probably about 8 years; Debian testing/unstable in a dual-boot configuration on my machine and Debian stable on my wives machine. On my machine, I'm using the Gnome 2.30 desktop environment; Gnome 3 hasn't come into Debian yet, I think. When it does, I'll probably switch to the XFCE desktop environment.
:namaste:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Stuck with Windows at work......
But much prefer my Mac at home with OSX.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

phpBB [video]
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nvm.

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

maybay wrote:Ubuntu's come a long way in the last few years Namdrol. Once its setup its a breeze.
Its a pity about Unity though. Gnome 2 was just fine. Hardware support is the main issue for me.
With Linux, it use to be that I'd have to edit configuration files to get everything working properly, but that is no longer the case. When I installed Ubuntu on my brothers machine a couple years ago, the installation was very easy and there were no problems at all. Although my brother has very little experience with computers, he is happily using it without assistance from me. I don't think it can get much easier.

He is still using an older version (the lastest LTS version) which uses Gnome 2. He asked me whether to upgrade and I told him "no", because I'm not so sure about unity. I tried it and it seemed harder to use.
edearl

Post by edearl »

Virgo wrote:Hah! Chopra was great in that. "I am a human being, not a human thinking, not a human doing, a human being".

Now that's class.

I'm switching to windows.

Kevin
That's a good ad, MS has lots of capital to make them. Capital for Linux advertising is miniscule. Linux open source free software is advertised mostly by word of mouth. It is remarkable that some paid programmers and tens of thousands of volunteer programmers have made an operating system that is comparable to Windows, in a some ways better and other ways not as good. For example, security on Linux is better than Windows and crashes are rare.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just upgraded to a Mac. I usually loathe computers, but this one's different. The operating system's just amazingly well designed.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
edearl

Post by edearl »

Paul wrote:Just upgraded to a Mac. I usually loathe computers, but this one's different. The operating system's just amazingly well designed.
I've always heard good things about Mac, but have not used one. I'm cheap , so build my own computers and use Linux.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

edearl wrote:Just learning how to set up a pool, actually. But, decided to offer my services to anyone who wants to download and run a simple Linux system--I'm not an expert, but have been using Linux for years. There are many experts who will give advice over the internet for free, just in case. Linux does not have drivers for all hardware, but it runs on many PCs. It has a package comparable with MS Office that is quite good. Some people run Linux on an older system, that is too small to run the latest Windows. Best of all, Linux is easy to download and install, and the price is right, $0.
I've read someplace that over 99% of the maleware targets Windows; that's another reason to use either a MAC OSX, Linux or something else. Like you said, sometimes you run into driver issues. We have an old Canon S600 printer and the linux driver for it doesn't support all the printing modes.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Too dense to understand any OS, so I stuck with Windows for years. Even after I got an "all-in-one" just so the desk would be clearer of machines. That AiO was an iMac; but I had a techie split the drive so I could have the familiar OE email etcetera. Then it got sick & died. I was going to replace it with one of the PC AiO machines now out there, but found out that Windows 7 cannot handle Outlook Express. So, what the hell, I got another iMac and am finding it not so terrible to figure out (provided I ignore 90% of its features).

I am using Snow Leopard because I heard of too many bugs in Lion. Anyone confirm or deny the flea-invested Lion rumors are true?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
edearl

Post by edearl »

Will wrote: I am using Snow Leopard because I heard of too many bugs in Lion. Anyone confirm or deny the flea-invested Lion rumors are true?
You might ask your question on http://superuser.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Tarpa

Post by Tarpa »

Still running a 2005 1.25 Ghz. PPC G-4 e-mac with Leopard 10.5.6, can only put 1 GB. of ram in it so memories an issue but I mainly use it to run Pro Tools LE 8 and Reason 4 with no problems surprisingly, runs better than PT 6.9 on Tiger did.
Still putting along, the squirrel hasn't died yet.
The nonexistence of the transcendence of suffering
is what the protector of the world has taught as the transcendence
of suffering.
Knots tied on space
are untied by space itself.

May I never be seperated from perfect masters in all lives,
and delightfully experiencing the magnificent dharma,
completing all qualities of the stages of the paths
may I quickly attain the state of Vajradhara
edearl

Post by edearl »

Tarpa wrote:Still running a 2005 1.25 Ghz. PPC G-4 e-mac with Leopard 10.5.6, can only put 1 GB. of ram in it so memories an issue but I mainly use it to run Pro Tools LE 8 and Reason 4 with no problems surprisingly, runs better than PT 6.9 on Tiger did.
Still putting along, the squirrel hasn't died yet.
You must be doing something right, my PC karma isn't that good, all my machines that old have died, but their memory is reincarnated in my newer machines. :smile:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Windows Xp professional version. You have to be in the real world.

Right now I have about 4 megabytes of free space out of 200 GB. That's right. And this thing is barely moving.
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Lounge”