A Buddhist creed

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ananda

A Buddhist creed

Post by ananda »

I was just thinking that it would be useful to have a concise formula to recite in order to convey our beliefs to others and something we could use to affirm our faith in the Triple Gem. Something to summarize the many teachings and lists in Buddhism in a simplistic way.
Perhaps something starting along the lines of :
'We the disciples of Gotama Buddha believe..."

If you want to write a creed and post it here please do so I would find it useful and I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

:namaste:
Last edited by ananda on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Re: A Buddhist creed

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
edearl

Post by edearl »

ananda wrote:I was just thinking that it would be useful to have a concise formula to recite in order to convey our beliefs to others and something we could use to affirm our faith in the Triple Gem. Something to summarize the many teachings and lists in Buddhism in a simplistic way.
'We the the disciples of Gotama Buddha believe..."

If you want to write a creed and post it here please do so I would find it useful and I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

:namaste:
Prince Siddhattha Gotama abdicated his throne to become the beggar Buddha, who was a philosopher and teacher. He taught people to live a moral, non-violent life and to diminish and dismiss their suffering.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

ananda wrote:I was just thinking that it would be useful to have a concise formula to recite in order to convey our beliefs to others and something we could use to affirm our faith in the Triple Gem. Something to summarize the many teachings and lists in Buddhism in a simplistic way.
Seems problematic. Creeds are by nature inherently self-limiting which contradicts the very essence of Dharma.
Cantankerous Buddha
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I go for refuge in the Buddha,
I go for refuge in the Dharma,
I go for refuge in the Sangha.

There. It's the whole of the path summarized right there, especially if you realize the different layers of meaning behind Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

;)
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I forgot to mention... the thing is, you need to realize what you recite, like gaining insight about it. So it's not exactly a creed, as just forcing yourself to believe this (or anything else, for that matter) won't do much for you. :smile:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Didn't Goddard basically do something like this in his Buddhist Bible? Also there are the Twelve Deeds of the Buddha that pretty much functions in this way.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
plwk

Post by plwk »

I dunno Ananda...me thinks the closest anything has come close to a Buddhist version of an 'Nicene/Apostles Creed' style would be the Basic Points Unifying the Theravāda and the Mahāyāna

That too not all would want to agree nor give a damn... :popcorn:
tantular

Post by tantular »

No need to write a new one, we already have two beautiful Buddhist creeds:

ye dharmā hetuprabhavā hetuṃ teṣāṃ tathāgato hyavadat, teṣāṃ ca yo nirodha evaṃ vādī mahāśrāmaṇaḥ.

"The Tathagata has told the cause of those dharmas which arise from causes, and also their cessation. Such a teacher was the Great Striver."

sarvapāpasyākaraṇaṃ kuśalasyopasampadaḥ|
svacittaparyavadanaṃ etad buddhasya śāsanam||

"Not doing any evil, perfecting virtue
Purifying one's own mind: this is the teaching of the Buddha."
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

No need for us to make up some creed, the Dharma itself is very clear.
A couple of very important points have already been made:
Dechen Norbu wrote:I go for refuge in the Buddha,
I go for refuge in the Dharma,
I go for refuge in the Sangha.
and
tantular wrote: ye dharmā hetuprabhavā hetuṃ teṣāṃ tathāgato hyavadat, teṣāṃ ca yo nirodha evaṃ vādī mahāśrāmaṇaḥ.
"The Tathagata has told the cause of those dharmas which arise from causes, and also their cessation. Such a teacher was the Great Striver."

sarvapāpasyākaraṇaṃ kuśalasyopasampadaḥ|
svacittaparyavadanaṃ etad buddhasya śāsanam||

"Not doing any evil, perfecting virtue
Purifying one's own mind: this is the teaching of the Buddha."
:meditate:

Though I'd put the three refuges first,
then the Verse of the Seven Buddhas (the last one),
and finally the Verse on Dependent Origination,
in that order. ;)

~~ Huifeng
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

:twothumbsup:
edearl

Post by edearl »

For what audience is the creed intended?
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
ananda

Post by ananda »

edearl wrote:For what audience is the creed intended?
Hi ! :hi:

The creed is intended for those new to Buddhism and seek to understand Buddhist beliefs. It is also intended for those Buddhists seeking a statement of faith outlining most of Buddhist doctrine in a single formula.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
edearl

Post by edearl »

ananda wrote:
edearl wrote:For what audience is the creed intended?
Hi ! :hi:

The creed is intended for those new to Buddhism and seek to understand Buddhist beliefs. It is also intended for those Buddhists seeking a statement of faith outlining most of Buddhist doctrine in a single formula.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

You need to focus on what the buddha taught, and not what buddhists believe, because not all buddhists believe the same things.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

ananda wrote:in order to convey our beliefs to others
For me, I have taken my refuge vows formally, and I renew them at the beginning of each day.

For others, I try to explain that Buddhism is a practice of mental and spiritual development designed
to develop compassion and loving kindness for all beings, and to awaken my own inherent insight into
the nature of reality.

Wish I could remember where I got the wording for the above so I could credit him/her, but it's
gone from my memory.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”