Peppermint Oil

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Peppermint Oil

Postby edearl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Several years ago, my Physician said to use peppermint oil as a decongestant, because over-the-counter decongestants are bad for people with high blood pressure. I put a drop of the oil on my tongue and it clears my nasal passages, but it has a very strong flavor. If you try it; be ready. Recently, I began putting a drop of the oil on my toothbrush before brushing, which mediates the strong flavor and freshens ones mouth.

Today I looked on the internet for "peppermint oil benefits" and found the following:

Re: http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21838
What Is Peppermint Used for Today?

Peppermint oil has shown promise for a variety of conditions that involve spasm of the intestinal tract. Most studies have involved irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), for which peppermint oil has shown considerable promise. Peppermint oil may also be helpful for reducing the pain caused by medical examinations of the colon and stomach, as well for decreasing the intestinal gas pain that frequently follows surgery.

Peppermint oil may also be helpful for dyspepsia (a condition that is similar to IBS, but involves the stomach instead of the intestines).

Weak evidence, far too preliminary to rely upon at all, hints that peppermint oil might help dissolve gallstones.

Peppermint oil is also used in another way: as aromatherapy . This means that it is inhaled, often by adding it to a humidifier. Weak evidence hints that inhaled peppermint oil might be helpful for relief of mucus congestion of the lungs and sinuses. Even weaker evidence hints that inhaled peppermint oil might relieve postsurgical nausea.

Similarly weak evidence hints that peppermint oil, applied to the forehead, might relieve tension headaches.

Finally, a study performed in Iran reported that applying peppermint water (essentially, lukewarm peppermint tea) directly to the nipples helped prevent dryness and cracking caused by breastfeeding.

You can find peppermint oil in the baking section of your local grocery.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Return to Personal Experience