Greenlanders and Global Warming

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
edearl

Greenlanders and Global Warming

Post by edearl »

A recent documentary said that Greenlanders were, for the first time in centuries, able to grow gardens. Their traditional diet is mostly meat and fish, which means they kill fish and animals to survive, and their source of vegetables were from imports.

Would a Greenlander Buddhist forever be collecting bad karma for killing to survive, or would he/she merely be following the Middle Way?
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Greenlanders and Global Warming

Post by kirtu »

edearl wrote:A recent documentary said that Greenlanders were, for the first time in centuries, able to grow gardens. Their traditional diet is mostly meat and fish, which means they kill fish and animals to survive, and their source of vegetables were from imports.

Would a Greenlander Buddhist forever be collecting bad karma for killing to survive, or would he/she merely be following the Middle Way?
Both. Following the Middle Way does not negate the necessity of killing for food or it's consequences. This is even true of vegetarian or vegan people BTW. We live on plant Earth. And the reality is that in order for us to live some beings somewhere die (although it might be theoretically possible to farm yourself in an almost non-harming manner). If you live in Greenland then your food options are limited, relatively speaking.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
edearl

Re: Greenlanders and Global Warming

Post by edearl »

:thanks: Kirt
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."

Return to “Lounge”