Gayatri Mantra in Tibetan Buddhism

dharmasack

Gayatri Mantra in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by dharmasack »

Hey Guys, and Gals, I'm interested in the Gayatri Mantra. I know it's a Vedic Mantra, but apparently it has some foothold in Buddhism as well. I have defitnely heard recordings of Tibetan Monks chanting it, but other than that I don't know much.

Thanks in advance.
neverdowell

Re: Gayatri Mantra in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by neverdowell »

I know a Tibetan Buddhist reciting this mantra too. I'm curious.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dharmasack wrote:I have defitnely heard recordings of Tibetan Monks chanting it, but other than that I don't know much.
Nope, you have not. The Gayatri does not exist as a tradition in Buddhism of any kind. There may however be some Western Tibetan Buddhists that are fond of chanting it (I know one too).

N
dharmasack

Post by dharmasack »

Nope, you have not. The Gayatri does not exist as a tradition in Buddhism of any kind.
I stand corrected, I supposed that it must have been a western-Buddhist on the recording with a decidedly good grasp of the Tibetan chanting style. Thanks for the response.
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Ani Choying Drolma, who is most certainly a Buddhist nun, has recorded a rendition of Gayatri. She's also a singer/performer, so that might explain it. :shrug:

Return to “Dzogchen”