It's Fading Away

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

It's Fading Away

Postby catmoon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 pm

It seems to me that less and less of the content on Dharma Wheel makes any sense at all. Is it just me or is the board going generally wacko?

I am considering joining the order of the Foaming Monks. At least they know they are nuts.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: It's Fading Away

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Mebbe you are approaching realization of emptiness.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby catmoon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:56 am

It's getting worse. Today I read through the board, and I saw self righteous crowing, sectarian propagandizing, various forms of one upmanship... I may even have added to it a little. The Dalai Lama is good, the Dalai Lama is bad. Dzogchen is it, Dzogchen isn't it. Madhayamaka is the main path, compassion is the main path, the four noble truths are the main path, dependent origination is the main path.

AAAaaargh.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby KeithBC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 am

Unfortunately, I think you may be right.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby plwk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:54 am

I hear ya catty but I still try my best to apply what one Mod from a now defunct forum told me:
'Believe it or not, one is not punished for not reading what is not pleasing to oneself'

But I do agree, from what and how this forum was built up by myself and other pioneers (some who have left already) since I was here in its formation under another nick and now, with the new crowd, it has lost the 'Shangri-la-ness' and fellowship that it had and now has turned into a...

Change is good they say, no catty? :shrug:
plwk

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 pm

I think it's faded away. :soapbox:

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Postby ronnewmexico » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:00 pm

It's the demons...

In a ultimate sense demons and ourselves do not exist. In a conventional sense exteriorily and intereiorily perceived demons exist.
Deomons of both sorts act in covert and overt manners.
DEmons of both sorts hate most that which threatens them the most...the notion they do not exist, it causes them great pain.
Buddhism contains that kernal..self and thusly demon.... do not exist.
So it is always a threat and about it always a demon will be found.

A pristine pure mountain lake may be befouled by one single drop of oil. If a scietiest were to examine the water of that lake in great detain he could find that speck of oil in it however small. That pure thing could then be called a impure thing,. (ULtimately nothing is pure nor impure but that is another matter).

A demon of both sorts would exclaim when we examine closely, close enough, nothing is found to be pure. The truth of this conventional thing is nothing is pure, we need only to examine a thing more closely. A person of the spirit may state the truth...this shows only a pure thing may be easily befouled, it says nothing on how much is pure or befouled nor how much of any things we may find are pure or befourled.
There may be many lakes of purity or none, oil in one proves nothing.

DEmons of both sorts I say to you (and have before)....eat me, and all..... I and many others are of nothing comprised and we and all offer this great feast of I to you.
See if it may satisfy you.
I must first be found so you may feast...but freely it is given. It lies for only you to do the finding.

Eat away this thing of I if you may.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby Tilopa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:16 am

catmoon wrote:It seems to me that less and less of the content on Dharma Wheel makes any sense at all. Is it just me or is the board going generally wacko? .

It's changed but that's inevitable and for the most part it's still possible to have a coherent, respectful and friendly exchange with other members. There's a lot of useful information shared here and it's almost entirely free of the rancorous sectarian drivel that so often creeps into Buddhist forums. It may not be perfect but it's not completely whacko either.
Tilopa

Postby catmoon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:44 am

Actually, it may not be fading away at all. It turns out that the appearance of a board is dependent on the threads and forums one inhabits. I recently started monitoring the entire board, and found there is much more decent, friendly, informative stuff than I had previously thought.

So today it appears to be fading in, maybe tomorrow it will look like it's fading out again. Appearances can be sooo variable.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Caz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:21 am

Impure appearances come from an Impure mind. Of course thats not to say that some people arent conventionally bat shit crazy :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby catmoon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Caz wrote:Impure appearances come from an Impure mind. Of course thats not to say that some people arent conventionally bat shit crazy :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Why is it I feel like I've just been insulted? Surely my dear and cherished dharma brother would never insult me. It must be the impurity of my own mind. Hmmm. I know. I will start a three year retreat immediately! Start sending in those Snickers bars, I'm gonna need a three year supply. And TP, I'll need lots of that too I suppose. Let's see what else, computer, 3-year satellite internet contract, an RV I guess, personal defense system, ammo, water skis, scuba gear, better take the barbecue, hmm hmm hmmm.... Ya this is gonna be great!
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby edearl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:44 pm

From my novice point of view, this board is a good place to learn about the three jewels, especially Sangha since I am home bound. The Dharma Wheel part of the greater Sangha is diverse; thus, the greater Sangha must be even more diverse. I have not studied the Dharma enough to know much, but the fact that there are a number of different schools of Buddhism seems to mean the Dharma is diverse, too. In addition, the Right Way means each individual has a path from novice to enlightenment; thus, each person may have a different understanding of the three jewels--more diversity.

Members of this board have given good advice and good links to Buddhist literature. This board may not be as it was, nor as anyone wants it to be, but it is a vehicle for experienced Buddhist to help the less experienced.

In every age, elders complain of youth being unruly and unwise. But, children grow to be elders, and some learn to be wise.

:namaste:
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby ground » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:51 am

May be another good occasion for this one

"Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. [1] Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Kind regards
ground

Postby edearl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

TMingyur wrote:May be another good occasion for this one

"Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. [1] Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Kind regards

:thanks: for the great link
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Postby gnegirl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Just grab some popcorn and watch the drama.... :popcorn:
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
gnegirl

Postby ground » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:28 pm

gnegirl wrote:Just grab some popcorn and watch the drama.... :popcorn:

Good occasion to watch people who cannot sit still but always need some "doing" ... often its eating and tasting.

Kind regards
ground

Postby White Lotus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:13 pm

still some good stuff here: and some very enlightened postings. patience is required, waiting for inspiration to appear on the boards. its still there. just to mention three members that still grace these boards with inspiration... Ven. Hui Feng, Astus and Muni... there are others too, but these people in my opinion are well worth reading.

some people have no access to a physical teacher, but here on these boards, they meet with enlightenment.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Postby White Lotus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:13 pm

still some good stuff here: and some very enlightened postings. patience is required, waiting for inspiration to appear on the boards. its still there. just to mention three members that still grace these boards with inspiration... Ven. Hui Feng, Astus and Muni... there are others too, but these people in my opinion are well worth reading.

some people have no access to a physical teacher, but here on these boards, they meet with enlightenment.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Postby Ogyen » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 am

It's ok baby. I'm back. What don't kill ya makes ya stranger.

:namaste:
D. Ogyen
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby Epistemes » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:51 am

Quit talking about me in public.
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Next

Return to Personal Experience