Was Milarepa a Buddhist

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ananda

Was Milarepa a Buddhist

Post by ananda »

I was reading through a book titled 'A Buddhist Bible' and while reading a chapter on the life of Milarepa I read about how he entered into 'Dagkar Taso' cave where he performed austerities causing his body to become very emaciated. Concerned relatives would try to get him to refrain from the strenuous austerities but failed to do so.I recall that Shakyamuni Buddha exhorted his followers to refrain from excessive austerity and to instead follow a 'Middle Path'. Was Milarepa Buddhist ?
Perhaps the author of the book didn't provide an accurate excerpt of the story.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Paul

Re: Was Milarepa a Buddhist

Post by Paul »

ananda wrote:Was Milarepa Buddhist ?
Milarepa was a buddha.

His austerities etc. were a means to an end, not the end in itself. There are some spiritual traditions that think pain and suffering are good and necessary, but this wasn't Marpa or Milarepa's view.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Milarepa took a vow to remain in retreat in the mountains until enlightenment. He wasn't fasting or performing austerities for their own sake. It's just that there were very few sources of food and clothing in his isolated retreat. He took the little that was offered to him gratefully and did not spurn it.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

ananda wrote:I was reading through a book titled 'A Buddhist Bible' and while reading a chapter on the life of Milarepa I read about how he entered into 'Dagkar Taso' cave where he performed austerities causing his body to become very emaciated. Concerned relatives would try to get him to refrain from the strenuous austerities but failed to do so.I recall that Shakyamuni Buddha exhorted his followers to refrain from excessive austerity and to instead follow a 'Middle Path'. Was Milarepa Buddhist ?
You may need to read the Life of Milarepa to clarify your doubt. His life story is very inspiring and enjoyable to be read.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

ananda wrote:I was reading through a book titled 'A Buddhist Bible' and while reading a chapter on the life of Milarepa I read about how he entered into 'Dagkar Taso' cave where he performed austerities causing his body to become very emaciated.
That was because he didn't always have a lot of food to eat, especially in winter. He was not emaciated because of an imposed fast. Tradition holds that he ate a lot of nettle soup. This gave his skin a greenish color (perhaps because of the Chlorophyl in the nettles). He's often depicted that way in Thangkas

Concerned relatives would try to get him to refrain from the strenuous austerities but failed to do so.I recall that Shakyamuni Buddha exhorted his followers to refrain from excessive austerity and to instead follow a 'Middle Path'. Was Milarepa Buddhist ?
Milarepa was a Yogin. He's often referred to as "Lord of the Yogins" because of his extended retreat practice. The austerities, as another pointed out were not the purpose of Milarepa's retreat. The austerities were a side-effect. He was also a Buddhist.

You should read Thrangu Rinpoche's biography of Milarepa. You should also read and meditate on the 100,000 songs of realization that Milarepa composed. This would be especially good to do if you have any interest in the Kagyu lineage or Mahamudra practice.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”