YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Job-related question about responsibilities - Dhamma Wheel

Job-related question about responsibilities

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Vardali

Job-related question about responsibilities

Postby Vardali » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi,

I am currently dealing with some development at work where I would appreciate some thoughts and comments. Especially something that would be "right" in Buddhist terms (avoiding bad karma, for instance ;) ).

It's about some potential choices that don't just affect myself but also my team. This makes the situation a bit difficult for me to decide.

Situation:
I am a team leader (middle management) in a large organisation. Our department has been undergoing some major restructuring over the past few months, leading to a basically total exchange of our "old" management (structure); I am one of very few "old" heads that actually survived the restructuring, and I managed to hold my (small) team together.
However, there is some alienation between the new guard and the old staff, so in addition to a significant change in roles and duties, quite a few people do not yet feel at home in the new setup. So I am kind of providing them with at least some sense of direction and "work home" at the moment.

Now it appears that another department would like to win me over; the job on offer is one where my skills and interests
would fit way better than my current responsibilities; salary is not really an issue (I have always been paid well without
being demanding about, probably because I usually work for people who appreciate me sufficiently - well, apart from my
current "new" bosses, I'd say ;) ).

But while I would gain in profile in the type of projects I could do in the other department, I will lose line mgmt responsibily. Which in itself I wouldn't care that much, but obviously I would have to leave my old team behind, in a less than comfortable situation with all the new stuff and a less than appreciative management.

If I just had to think about myself, there would be a couple of concerns and issues to handle, but overall a clear deal (I know and appreciate the potential boss, we've had a good and mutually fully trusty work relationship before, I know the topics, the colleagues etc. I could feel quite at home there ...

But I would leave my team in the pits, and as I
am feeling responsible for their performance and well being, I am a bit hesitant to just move on.

Question: What do YOU think, am I taking it too far/serious, worrying about my team? After all, it's a job, not a marriage. And yet I know that without me, there will not find much to stay on for, with no voice to be heard ...
Any thoughts?

Cittasanto

Re: Job-related question about responsibilities

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:32 pm

I think you should talk to your potential new boss about this, and when the time comes your team.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Mukunda

Postby Mukunda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:37 pm

A former boss of mine once told me "If you're irreplaceable, you're not doing your job right." It sounds to me that you believe yourself to irreplaceable to your current team.

Vardali

Postby Vardali » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't feel irreplaceable, more like a lighthouse in stormy sea. ;)
And of course there is some personal loyalty involved.
So, your point is that shouldn't be concerned with that?

Sobeh

Postby Sobeh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I think the point is that rather than trying to come up with a perfect solution, hold Right Speech mindfully and approach all affected parties in that state.

Mukunda

Postby Mukunda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Return to “Lounge”