Could you recommend some books?

mint

Could you recommend some books?

Post by mint »

I've just finished reading The Crystal and The Way of Light, The Supreme Source and The Cycle of Day and Night, all by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. I've also read Primordial Experience by Manjusrimita. Where should I go next in my studies?
Paul

Re: Could you recommend some books?

Post by Paul »

I think the books from Rangjung Yeshe Publications are all excellent. "As It Is" (both volumes) by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche are fantastic. Tsoknyi Rinpoche's books are great, especially "Ground, Path and Fruition" - but that's restricted to those that have had pointing out instructions. "Treasures from Juniper Ridge" is an excellent, excellent book that has some good descriptions of progress in Dzogchen meditation. "Quintessential Dzogchen" is a great compilation.

If you're going to get any book get "Vivid Awareness" by Thrangu Rinpoche. It is a book I've become obsessed by. Khenpo Gangshar was clearly a very, very special person.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
mint

Post by mint »

I'm sort of interested in Natural Perfection: Longchenpa's Radical Dzogchen by Longchen Rabjam and Rainbow Painting: A Collection of Miscellaneous Aspects of Development and Completion by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche because I like the titles and the cover looks nice. :lol:

Are these books advised? Are they difficult to understand? Do they require a person have a more thorough knowledge of Dzogchen?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Anything by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche should be considered mandatory reading when it comes to Dzogchen. He was one of the most realised masters of the last century.

As for "Natural Perfection" I'm not that keen on Keith Dowman as a translator. It might be a bit confusing unless you know what he's trying to translate.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Hayagriva wrote: As for "Natural Perfection" I'm not that keen on Keith Dowman as a translator. It might be a bit confusing unless you know what he's trying to translate.
I also run into that problem I wish he would just translate and not let himself get all creative. A lot of very specific information seems to get all mushed together in his translations.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

You've been given some excellent recommendations here, including the caution about Keith Dowman's translations, certainly enough to keep you occupied for quite some time. Offhand, I'd also suggest a pair of books by Tsoknyi Rinpoche, another of Tulku Urgyen's brilliant sons--"Carefree Dignity" and "Fearless Simplicity". Both of these were compiled from talks he's given and capture the flavor of his engaging teaching style.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
mint

Post by mint »

Is the Tibetan Book of the Dead essential reading for understanding Dzogchen?
Paul

Post by Paul »

mint wrote:Is the Tibetan Book of the Dead essential reading for understanding Dzogchen?
Nope, but it's interesting and the new translations good.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

to OP:

Book i like: Buddhahood w/o Meditation., its even better if you get the lung for it.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
mint

Post by mint »

I think the next Dzogchen books I will get are the terma teachings by Padmasambhava:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086171 ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Juniper ... gy_b_img_c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbsup:

Return to “Dzogchen”