Paṭisambhidāmagga sabhava

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
5heaps

Paṭisambhidāmagga sabhava

Post by 5heaps »

Jnana wrote: If you want dhammas to have sabhāva -- even though the Paṭisambhidāmagga explicitly states that dhammas are empty of sabhāva -- then that's fine by me.
whats it mean to be empty of svabhava? for example what is the emptiness of a cup?
Virgo

Re: Paṭisambhidāmagga sabhava

Post by Virgo »

5heaps wrote:
Jnana wrote: If you want dhammas to have sabhāva -- even though the Paṭisambhidāmagga explicitly states that dhammas are empty of sabhāva -- then that's fine by me.
whats it mean to be empty of svabhava? for example what is the emptiness of a cup?
In essence, sabhava means that something really does exist, even if it only comes into existence momentarily. It doesn't mean it posses a self, but that it just really does arise.

Thus, the emptiness of persons is based on this concept. Rupa, real; nama, real. But the conceptual objects of nama, not always real, mostly illusory, ie. the perception that there are beings, or whole objects aside from the rupa that forms "them", which exist at an ultimate level.

Therefore, no persons or selves, just seperate arising dharmas which we consider to for some larger whole which has a self essence, wrongly. No concept has a self essence on the ultimate level, neither does any paramattha dhamams, but the paramattha dhammas to have sabhava, ie. they arise for real.

But I can't get into this conversation, because Geoff will insult me.

Kevin
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

5heaps wrote:whats it mean to be empty of svabhava? for example what is the emptiness of a cup?
This subject has already been discussed and debated ad nauseum. Dharma Wheel and Dhamma Wheel both have decent search functions. There is little more that needs to be said at this point.

All the best,

Geoff
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Virgo wrote:Geoff will insult me.
It's never been my intention to insult you.

All the best,

Geoff
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Jnana wrote:
Virgo wrote:Geoff will insult me.
It's never been my intention to insult you.

All the best,

Geoff
And you never have Geoff. Others have though, purposefully, pertaining to this topic.

Kevin
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Virgo wrote:And you never have Geoff.
:smile:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”