Studying Nyingma

sangyey

Re: Studying Nyingma

Post by sangyey »

What Is Nyingma Gyubum? From my understanding it contains a compilation of Nyingma texts.
heart

Post by heart »

sangyey wrote:What Is Nyingma Gyubum? From my understanding it contains a compilation of Nyingma texts.
http://www.rangjung.com/gl/Nyingma_Gyubum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maha, Anu and Ati Tantras.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Excellent! Thank you Magnus.

I was also wondering if Longchenpa's Seven Treasuries are his principle or only works or if he is responsible for other texts or collections?
Paul

Post by Paul »

sangyey wrote:Excellent! Thank you Magnus.

I was also wondering if Longchenpa's Seven Treasuries are his principle or only works or if he is responsible for other texts or collections?
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... s_Writings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

And Jigme Lingpa's works.....?

:anjali:
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Perhaps this is good.......

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Jigme_Lingpa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul

Post by Paul »

sangyey wrote:And Jigme Lingpa's works.....?

I've read his "Ladder to Akanistha", which is in this book: http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=16612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good indeed (which isn't a surprise, really). Especially useful as completion stage information of this quality is hard to find.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Post by heart »

sangyey wrote:And Jigme Lingpa's works.....?

This is an interesting book although a bit scholarly but containing interesting translations; Approaching the Great Perfection: Simultaneous and Gradual Methods of Dzogchen Practice in the Longchen Nyingtig by Sam van Schaik
This is also very good; Gateway to the Great Perfection: A Guide to the Dzogchen Preliminaries by Cortland Dahl

and of course Deity, Mantra and Wisdom that Hayagriva mentioned before.

Then of course the complete Yeshe Lama is translated http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_9836.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

heart wrote: This is an interesting book although a bit scholarly but containing interesting translations; Approaching the Great Perfection: Simultaneous and Gradual Methods of Dzogchen Practice in the Longchen Nyingtig by Sam van Schaik
This is also very good; Gateway to the Great Perfection: A Guide to the Dzogchen Preliminaries by Cortland Dahl

Then of course the complete Yeshe Lama is translated http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_9836.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
You need the DI and the reading transmission though.

Kevin
heart

Post by heart »

Virgo wrote:
heart wrote: This is an interesting book although a bit scholarly but containing interesting translations; Approaching the Great Perfection: Simultaneous and Gradual Methods of Dzogchen Practice in the Longchen Nyingtig by Sam van Schaik

/magnus
You need the DI and the reading transmission though.

Kevin
Yes, that is true. But it is well worth to try to achieve because the text is very interesting.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Paul

Post by Paul »

Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Do Nyingma's specifically follow Bhavavivika's works?
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Hayagriva wrote:Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?
Well, there's this: http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Mipam_on_Bu ... /15996.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In truth, I haven't read it, but translators I know and respect speak well of Mr Duckworth and his work. I don't know if there's anyone out there working with Nyingma texts whose scope is as inclusive as Karl Brunnholzl's is with Karma Kagyu material.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

sangyey wrote:Do Nyingma's specifically follow Bhavavivika's works?
In my experience, in terms of Indian Madhyamaka shastras, Nyingmapas seem to focus on works like Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara (Entering the Middle Way) and Shantarakshita's Madhyamakalankara (Ornament of the Middle way).For the most part, though, it seems like they lean more towards relying on Tibetan commentaries on these Indian shastras by the likes of Longchenpa and Mipham Rinpoche. My experience in this area is somewhat limited, though.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Hayagriva wrote:Is there such a book as "Center of the Sunlit Sky" presenting the intricacies of madhyamaka for the Nyingma lineage?
There is a text published under this name, but it is about Madhyamaka according to the Kagyu tradition, not Nyingma.

*Oops, I think I misunderstood what you meant. I don't know of a Nyingma commentary presented as something like an analog to the text you mentioned, but you will definitely get the predominant Nyingma view in books like "Introduction to the Middle Way," which consists of Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara and Mipham Rinpoche's commentary on it.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
There is a text published under this name, but it is about Madhyamaka according to the Kagyu tradition, not Nyingma.
You've misread me - I'm looking for a Nyingma book about madhyamaka that's as through as Center of the Sunlit Sky is for the Kagyu lineage.

Pema Rigdzin wrote:I don't know of a Nyingma commentary presented as something like an analog to the text you mentioned, but you will definitely get the predominant Nyingma view in books like "Introduction to the Middle Way," which consists of Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara and Mipham Rinpoche's commentary on it.
Thanks, I have that book. I've not read it in ages, so I'll dig it out again.

http://www.amazon.com/Mipam-Buddha-Natu ... d_sxp_f_pt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; looks ideal, although it's not cheap...

*edit* it is cheap at Namse Bangdzo.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Who do Nyingma's look to for their commentary on lojong? And on pramana?
Zenda

Post by Zenda »

I don't know if there is a specifically Nyingma approach to the seven points of mind training, but this book is very, very good:

Enlightened Courage: An Explanation of the Seven-Point Mind Training by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche (http://www.snowlionpub.com/html/product_8736.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Does anyone know where the most comprehensive treatment of the six perfections can be found in the Nyingma tradition?
heart

Post by heart »

sangyey wrote:Does anyone know where the most comprehensive treatment of the six perfections can be found in the Nyingma tradition?
I think you have to realize that the treatment of the various Mahayana tenets does not change so much between the various schools Sangey.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Nyingma”