Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 493
I dont remember where I read it but I remember reading that at one time Tibet had as a part of its treatment therapies its own system of acupuncture. But for some reason it was banned or something. I am a Doctor of Chinese medicine primarily focusing on acupuncture and would love to know about its Tibetan counterpart.

_________________
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Fa Dao wrote:
I dont remember where I read it but I remember reading that at one time Tibet had as a part of its treatment therapies its own system of acupuncture. But for some reason it was banned or something. I am a Doctor of Chinese medicine primarily focusing on acupuncture and would love to know about its Tibetan counterpart.



We use needle on moxa as well as bloodletting points. But we generally only use needle on heat and nerve diseases, unlike Chinese medicine where they use it on everything.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 493
thanks Namdrol...was there a time when it was used for more than that?

_________________
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Fa Dao wrote:
thanks Namdrol...was there a time when it was used for more than that?



Never. It has to do with the theory of needle in Tibetan medicine -- i.e. it is used mainly for inflammation and heat diseases i.e. pitta and blood. It is considered a cold and rough therapy, not good for vata and kapha at all. So I always especially recommend that vata-deranged people generally avoid acupuncture unless there is serious reason for them to use it to cut the end of a heat disease.

Tibet is a cold place, China is a hot place. There are more heat diseases in China than Tibet. Our Moxa is much more developed than Chinese moxabustion. Why? Tibet is a cold country.

N

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 493
Namdrol, I have to respectfully disagree...China is not only a "hot" place. In fact the weather there is quite varied. Ranging from below freezing to dry and arid to tropical. As to whether or not Tibetan moxabustion is superior to Chinese moxabustion, unless you are a practitioner of both Tibetan and Chinese medicine you cant really claim that either.

_________________
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Fa Dao wrote:
Namdrol, I have to respectfully disagree...China is not only a "hot" place. In fact the weather there is quite varied. Ranging from below freezing to dry and arid to tropical. As to whether or not Tibetan moxabustion is superior to Chinese moxabustion, unless you are a practitioner of both Tibetan and Chinese medicine you cant really claim that either.


I have dicussed the way Chinese moxa is practiced with several OMDs and I have clinical experience in Tibetan hospitals with doctors who are fully cross trained in both systems. Tibetan moxabustion is more developed than Chinese Moxa. Acupuncture is more developed in Chinese medicine. This is just a fact, nothing to really argue about.

In general, compared to Tibet, the Chinese climate is quite warm.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 493
While it is obviously true that Tibet is colder on the whole, there are places in China that are bitterly cold as well. As to the moxabustion unless you were discussing this with some older precommunist practitioners your information about Chinese moxabustion will be limited. Sadly nowadays in China as elsewhere moxabustion is only used for cold and deficiency disorders. It used to be used for both hot and cold disorders as well as deficiency and excess disorders. Not a lot that are doing that nowadays. This is due to a number of factors, one of which was not its lack of efficacy. Both moxabustion and acupuncture came close to becoming lost arts in China.

_________________
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tibetan Acupuncture
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Fa Dao wrote:
While it is obviously true that Tibet is colder on the whole, there are places in China that are bitterly cold as well. As to the moxabustion unless you were discussing this with some older precommunist practitioners your information about Chinese moxabustion will be limited. Sadly nowadays in China as elsewhere moxabustion is only used for cold and deficiency disorders. It used to be used for both hot and cold disorders as well as deficiency and excess disorders. Not a lot that are doing that nowadays. This is due to a number of factors, one of which was not its lack of efficacy. Both moxabustion and acupuncture came close to becoming lost arts in China.


Moxa is used in number of ways in TM -- as a therapy in and of itself, it is mostly used for cold/kapha diseases -- it is also used to dispell the vata which comes at the end of an serious heat diseases, and so on.

It is generally contraindicated as a main treatment for virtually all heat diseases, the only exception is heat being driven by vata.

N

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group