Making the Mind Still

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Making the Mind Still

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:14 am

"Compassion automatically brings happiness and calmness. Then, even if you receive disturbing news, it will be easier to take, as your mind is still." --His Holiness the Dalai Lama

As I'm sure you know (because I've been posting it all over the place), my dog passed away at the beginning of the week. The sadness is difficult. I read this quote today and it struck me. I'm trying to focus on my dog and her time in the bardo, extending compassion and mantras to her every time I feel tempted to give in to grief. So far, for a few hours at least, it's been working. My mind is more still and at ease.

What are your thoughts on compassion, and the stillness it might bring to the mind?

:namaste:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: Making the Mind Still

Postby Clueless Git » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 am

Sorry to hear about your pooch passing on Ngawang :consoling:

I hope that the feelings of sadness will fade quickly and happy memories of his canine capers soon take their place.

All I know about stillness of mind is that it has something to do with recognising the impermance of things. Kinda like knowing that no matter what we feel in any given moment it will, sooner or later, pass.

I suspect that dogs 'know' that instinctively btw ..
Clueless Git

Return to Personal Experience