Gelugpa View Overshadowing Madhyamaka

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
alwayson

Gelugpa View Overshadowing Madhyamaka

Post by alwayson »

I thought I read in some book where it talks about how the Gelugpa view of Madhyamaka overshadowed Madhyamaka studies.

Or something like that.

Does anyone remember where that is?
Caz

Re: Gelugpa view of Madhyamaka Became Precominant?

Post by Caz »

alwayson wrote:I thought I read in some book where it talks about how the Gelugpa view of Madhyamaka has obscured Madhyamaka studies.

Or something like that.

How on earth would it obscure Madhyamaka studies ? :crazy:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
alwayson

Re: Gelugpa View Overshadowing Madhyamaka

Post by alwayson »

I meant overshadow
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Ha Ha Ha, just a guess, but I'd say it's in a book with a Kagyu or Nyingma focus...certainly not in any book regarding Tsong Khapa's or Gelukpa presentation of Madhyamika!
:smile:

In all seriousness, I found Center of the Sunlit Sky to have a lot to say about the "issues," if you're interested in that sort of thing.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

It could be added how the Tibetan view overshadows other forms of Madhyamaka. However, since it is primarily the Gelug school that upholds Madhyamaka as its central doctrine, and in Tibetan Buddhism they have generally a stronger emphasis on Madhyamaka than anywhere else, it is quite a natural outcome.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Astus wrote:It could be added how the Tibetan view overshadows other forms of Madhyamaka. However, since it is primarily the Gelug school that upholds Madhyamaka as its central doctrine, and in Tibetan Buddhism they have generally a stronger emphasis on Madhyamaka than anywhere else, it is quite a natural outcome.

Yeah I know, but I'm looking for a specific book that says this.
Paul

Post by Paul »

alwayson wrote:
Astus wrote:It could be added how the Tibetan view overshadows other forms of Madhyamaka. However, since it is primarily the Gelug school that upholds Madhyamaka as its central doctrine, and in Tibetan Buddhism they have generally a stronger emphasis on Madhyamaka than anywhere else, it is quite a natural outcome.

Yeah I know, but I'm looking for a specific book that says this.
First page of the preface of "Center of the Sunlit Sky".
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

Hayagriva wrote: First page of the preface of "Center of the Sunlit Sky".
Perfect. :twothumbsup:
Paul

Post by Paul »

alwayson wrote:
Hayagriva wrote: First page of the preface of "Center of the Sunlit Sky".
Perfect. :twothumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duP4d9Z ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

LOL
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

alwayson wrote:I thought I read in some book where it talks about how the Gelugpa view of Madhyamaka overshadowed Madhyamaka studies.

Or something like that.

I think you read a wrong book :rolling:

All 4 schools in Tibetan have the view of Madhyamaka Prasangika.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

DarwidHalim wrote:All 4 schools in Tibetan have the view of Madhyamaka Prasangika.
I don't disagree....though you should know there are a variety of "interpretations" out there amongst the Tibetan lineages..
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Paul

Post by Paul »

DarwidHalim wrote:
alwayson wrote:I thought I read in some book where it talks about how the Gelugpa view of Madhyamaka overshadowed Madhyamaka studies.

Or something like that.

I think you read a wrong book :rolling:

All 4 schools in Tibetan have the view of Madhyamaka Prasangika.
As Cone says, there are several different interpretations of what that exactly is. Tsongkhapa is certainly unique in view, and this fact has been very important in Tibetan history. There are at least two books about this that are very good indeed - Freedom from Extremes and Center if the Sunlit Sky.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”