The four kayas

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Epistemes

The four kayas

Post by Epistemes »

Can someone give me some reference point for understanding the four kayas?

I've read definitions, seen the terms used in context, etc., but they don't make much sense to me.
Cantankerous Buddha
alwayson

Re: The four kayas

Post by alwayson »

They are inseparable.

You can not have one without the others.

In other words, all are just aspects of Buddhahood.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

The human BODY in its natural state is the Sambhogakāya

The human MIND in its natural state is the Dharmakaya (i.e. omniscience)
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

alwayson wrote:The human BODY in its natural state is the Sambhogakāya

The human MIND in its natural state is the Dharmakaya (i.e. omniscience)
I've gathered that frmo my reading. It still makes little sense to me. Plus, what about Nirmankaya?
Cantankerous Buddha
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

This present human body can be the Nirmanakaya, if one actualizes the realization of the Dharmakaya.
The Dharmakaya is the true, absolute Reality of Buddha, and is called the "Benefit for Oneself."
The form kayas are "seeming" manifestations of the Buddha, and are the "Benefit for Others."

Nirmanakaya can appear to deluded fortunate beings, while Sambhogakaya appears to Aryas, I believe.
But, FROM IT'S OWN SIDE, all is truly inseparable in the Dharmakaya, beyond conceptual understanding.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Epistemes wrote:Can someone give me some reference point for understanding the four kayas?

I've read definitions, seen the terms used in context, etc., but they don't make much sense to me.
This is a species of Buddhist doceticism.

Dharmakāya, in brief, has several different versions. The basis version is that Dharmakāya is the complete realization of emptiness and the omniscience that springs from that realization.

Sambhogakāya is, in this basic version, rarified form body which exists outside samsara and is responsible primarily for communicating dharma to advanced bodhisattvas.

Nirmanakāya manifest to ordinary beings.

These terms get used differently in Vajrayāna systems where the three kāyas are understood as different aspects of the nature of the mind, clarity, emptiness and the inseparability of the two.

N
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Can Nirmanakaya manifest in subtler forms such as light forms or something?
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

Namdrol wrote: These terms get used differently in Vajrayāna systems where the three kāyas are understood as different aspects of the nature of the mind, clarity, emptiness and the inseparability of the two.
What about svabhavikakaya? My understanding of it is that it is the highest (greatest) of all the kayas and incorporates the other three - which seems to be suggesting that svabhavikakaya is synonymous with actual Buddhahood.
Cantankerous Buddha
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Epistemes wrote:
Namdrol wrote: These terms get used differently in Vajrayāna systems where the three kāyas are understood as different aspects of the nature of the mind, clarity, emptiness and the inseparability of the two.
What about svabhavikakaya? My understanding of it is that it is the highest (greatest) of all the kayas and incorporates the other three - which seems to be suggesting that svabhavikakaya is synonymous with actual Buddhahood.
Svabhavikakaya denotes that the three kayas are inseparable by their nature. All sides of one coin, though they are described as three aspects. Dharmakaya is the enlightened truth itself. Sambhogakaya is it dancing, enjoying the union of emptiness and clarity in whatever form it likes. Nirmanakaya is it's creations, to tame and help sentient beings based on their karma. Svabhavika means natural, as in natural condition. Svabhavikakaya refers to the natural condition of the three kayas-- inseparable, not three but one.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is there any distinction in terms of the 4 kayas where the enlightened mind while remaining it's individuality also has access to all of reality at the same time with different kayas representing these aspects of individuality and ultimate expanse?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Epistemes wrote:
It can be a name for the intrinsic idenitity of all three kāyas in Vajrayāna; in sutra, in general, it is a synonym of Dharmakāya.

N
AilurusFulgens

Post by AilurusFulgens »

What is then the "Rainbow Body of Great Transference" as possessed by Padmasambhava in this trikaya-doctrine?

Where does it fit in?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

AilurusFulgens wrote:What is then the "Rainbow Body of Great Transference" as possessed by Padmasambhava in this trikaya-doctrine?

Where does it fit in?

Generally considered to be a sambhogakāya.
AilurusFulgens

Post by AilurusFulgens »

Namdrol wrote:
AilurusFulgens wrote:What is then the "Rainbow Body of Great Transference" as possessed by Padmasambhava in this trikaya-doctrine?

Where does it fit in?

Generally considered to be a sambhogakāya.
So this would then perfectly fit with what "alwayson" posted i. e. "The human BODY in its natural state is the Sambhogakāya."

Is it therefore perfectly safe to say that this physical body of ours made of flesh, bones, sinews et al. is in its natural state a Sambhogakāya?

What about the Nirmānakāya? Is the following interpretation valid?

Nirmānakāya = ordinary physical body of flesh and bones (and nothing else)

Or can there be also other interpretations to the Nirmānakāya?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I think there are two key points to always keep in mind....First, all three of these "bodies," or four, if you add Svabhavakaya, (which is really a sort of summation, or, as Namdrol pointed out, sometimes a synonym for Dharmakaya), are inseparable in truth.
So, to say Nirmanakaya is only the flesh-and-blood body is incorrect, as this Nirmanakaya is primordially inseparable with the Dharmakaya.

Second, it is the Dharmakaya which is to be realized by the practitioner. Having actualized the Dharmakaya, which we can say is something like "The Buddha Mind," the "Buddha Bodies" manifest unimpededly.

As for the Sambhogakaya being the "physical body in it's natural state," I don't think there is a such a thing as the "Natural State of the Physical body." If you're talking about Light Bodies, then it's not really appropriate to say they are "physical," is it?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
As for the Sambhogakaya being the "physical body in it's natural state," I don't think there is a such a thing as the "Natural State of the Physical body." If you're talking about Light Bodies, then it's not really appropriate to say they are "physical," is it?

The rūpakāya is two fold. Rūpa here means material. Light is a part of matter since it is an object of the eye.

N
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Namdrol wrote:
conebeckham wrote:

The rūpakāya is two fold. Rūpa here means material. Light is a part of matter since it is an object of the eye.

N
AOK, got it! Thanks.
So, would you say that the "light Body" (which, I suppose, is the Sambhogakaya?) is "the Natural State Body?"

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”