Is Zen Rational?

Is Zen Rational?

Yes
9
56%
No
7
44%
 
Total votes : 16

Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:54 am

I mean no disrespect with this simple poll question. I am truly curious about how people would choose to answer.

Thanks for any participation. :namaste:
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby Huifeng » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:16 am

ajax wrote:I mean no disrespect with this simple poll question. I am truly curious about how people would choose to answer.

Thanks for any participation. :namaste:


How about "Both", and "Neither / Nor"?
And then the fifth option, "None of the above"?

:namaste:

~~ Huifeng
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby LastLegend » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:18 am

Rational in what way.
And not rational in what way.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:24 am

Huifeng wrote:
ajax wrote:I mean no disrespect with this simple poll question. I am truly curious about how people would choose to answer.

Thanks for any participation. :namaste:


How about "Both", and "Neither / Nor"?
And then the fifth option, "None of the above"?

:namaste:

~~ Huifeng

Isn't that a no, my friend?
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 am

LastLegend wrote:Rational in what way.
And not rational in what way.

1 based on or in accordance with reason or logic: I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation.
• (of a person) able to think clearly, sensibly, and logically: Andrea's upset—she's not being very rational.
• endowed with the capacity to reason: man is a rational being.
2 Mathematics (of a number, quantity, or expression) expressible, or containing quantities that are expressible, as a ratio of whole numbers. When expressed as a decimal, a rational number has a finite or recurring expansion.
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby Virgo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:42 am

deleted
Last edited by Virgo on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
http://www.ripple.org

Kevin
. . .
User avatar
Virgo
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Globe

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby LastLegend » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:52 am

ajax wrote:
LastLegend wrote:Rational in what way.
And not rational in what way.

1 based on or in accordance with reason or logic: I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation.
• (of a person) able to think clearly, sensibly, and logically: Andrea's upset—she's not being very rational.
• endowed with the capacity to reason: man is a rational being.
2 Mathematics (of a number, quantity, or expression) expressible, or containing quantities that are expressible, as a ratio of whole numbers. When expressed as a decimal, a rational number has a finite or recurring expansion.


1)Zen is rational
2)If experience can be quantified through mathematics, then Zen is rational
Last edited by LastLegend on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby LastLegend » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:53 am

Virgo wrote:
Huifeng wrote:
ajax wrote:I mean no disrespect with this simple poll question. I am truly curious about how people would choose to answer.

Thanks for any participation. :namaste:


How about "Both", and "Neither / Nor"?
And then the fifth option, "None of the above"?

:namaste:

~~ Huifeng

How about mind is mind?

Kevin


What is mind?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:01 am

No.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby desertman001 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:22 pm

If our true nature is unbounded, unchanging, formless Mind, the same before birth as after death, then zen is perfectly rational.
desertman001
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby alwayson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:30 pm

What is the motivation for this thread?

I hope that "ajax" is not conflating Zen with all of Buddhism.
alwayson
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 pm

alwayson wrote:I hope that "ajax" is not conflating Zen with all of Buddhism.

No worries.
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby Quiet Heart » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:18 am

:shrug:
The question is basicaly unanswerable, the presumption in the question, that Zen must be either logical or not logical is flawed.
In fact the true answer is....both Yes and No.
Up to a point Zen can be taught logically, until the student comes up against the limits of logical teaching. If the student is to go further on in his/her study....to "enlightenment", "realization", "understanding" ...or whatever you want to call it...the student must be forced out of that logical viewpoint and into a non-logical place where he/she can then see clearly outside of a logical perspective. Only then can the student see clearly and achieve that "realization".
That's why the real anser to the question is: Niether one or the other.
Or to put it another way, both "logical" and "non-logical" are only meaningless terms.... verbal ILLUSIONS generated by the mind....and have no inherent self-existant reality.
(slaps your face).
:smile:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
User avatar
Quiet Heart
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 am
Location: Bangkok Thailand

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby catmoon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 am

I can't see any other answer to the OP than "sometimes". Zen practioners sit on cushions, not wild camels. Basically the reason is pretty rational, but I doubt the practice of sitting on cushions was derived from a process of logical analysis.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2916
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 am

hello catmoon

catmoon wrote:I doubt the practice of sitting on cushions was derived from a process of logical analysis.

I also doubt the practice of zazen was derived from a process of logical analysis. However the question of how the practice was derived is a different question.
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby kirtu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 am

Zen is rational, but it is not linear and it is not bound by logic.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 am

Quiet Heart wrote::shrug:
The question is basicaly unanswerable, the presumption in the question, that Zen must be either logical or not logical is flawed.
In fact the true answer is....both Yes and No.
Up to a point Zen can be taught logically, until the student comes up against the limits of logical teaching. If the student is to go further on in his/her study....to "enlightenment", "realization", "understanding" ...or whatever you want to call it...the student must be forced out of that logical viewpoint and into a non-logical place where he/she can then see clearly outside of a logical perspective. Only then can the student see clearly and achieve that "realization".
That's why the real anser to the question is: Niether one or the other.
Or to put it another way, both "logical" and "non-logical" are only meaningless terms.... verbal ILLUSIONS generated by the mind....and have no inherent self-existant reality.
(slaps your face).
:smile:

hello Quiet Heart

I can appreciate what you say and have no objections. However, if what you say is true you must know how Zen is taught logically. How is Zen taught logically?
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby ajax » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:31 am

kirtu wrote:Zen is rational, but it is not linear and it is not bound by logic.

Kirt

Hello Kirt

Can you possibly elaborate? How can Zen be rational if it is not bound by logic or reasoning?
ajax
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby StuartM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 am

I think it is rational, as much as any other form of Buddhism

And, I don't think we should necessarily conflate non-discursive with being illogical.
Last edited by StuartM on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
StuartM
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Is Zen Rational?

Postby Astus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:48 am

Is being rational Zen? Is being irrational Zen? Of course not. Can Zen be rationalised or "irrationalised"? Definitely. So it is not something but can be made into anything, such is the magic of mind. Zen can be presented in any way it is needed, that's the primary approach Zen has. That is quite a rational attitude that understands dependent origination and how to assist people in seeing the nature of mind, i.e. perceiving that ideas such as rationality and irrationality depend on each other without any real basis.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4128
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Next

Return to Zen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

>