Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 234
Location: Here
Dechen Norbu wrote:
I'm too a student of Chogyal Namhkai Norbu and what you say is over simplistic and, in fact, pretty far from what he teaches.


What does he teach?

_________________
Cantankerous Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Epistemes wrote:
Dechen Norbu wrote:
I'm too a student of Chogyal Namhkai Norbu and what you say is over simplistic and, in fact, pretty far from what he teaches.


What does he teach?



He is a teacher of Dzogchen. Very famous, has a number of books Crystal and the Way of Light being chief among then. He is one of my main teachers.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am
Posts: 533
Epistemes wrote:
Dechen Norbu wrote:
I'm too a student of Chogyal Namhkai Norbu and what you say is over simplistic and, in fact, pretty far from what he teaches.


What does he teach?



No offense, but you have to start using Google. :tongue:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 234
Location: Here
Epistemes wrote:
Dechen Norbu wrote:
I'm too a student of Chogyal Namhkai Norbu and what you say is over simplistic and, in fact, pretty far from what he teaches.


What does he teach?


I should have been more precise in my question. My fault. How can one person suggest a webcast and another suggest that this view is in error? From the angle, what does Mr. Norbu actually teach?

_________________
Cantankerous Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am
Posts: 533
Yes exactly what are the prerequisites for webcast transmission?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 1014
Here we go again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
alwayson wrote:
Yes exactly what are the prerequisites for webcast transmission?


You sign on.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am
Posts: 533
Namdrol wrote:
alwayson wrote:
Yes exactly what are the prerequisites for webcast transmission?


You sign on.



Simple enough then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 234
Location: Here
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Here we go again.


I only ask not because I'm hankering to jump on board with Dzogchen - because I barely even understand what I'm doing now - but, if I were to choose to follow something like Dzogchen in the future, which member alwayson seems to think would be good for me now, there are no Dzogchen teachers near me and the idea intrigues me that any lama would allow his teachings to be learned through webcast.

_________________
Cantankerous Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am
Posts: 533
Well I just said, IF you wanted to become a Vajrayana practitioner, thats how you do it.

See below:

alwayson wrote:
If he wants to become a Vajrayana practitioner all he needs is a webcast transmission from Namkhai Norbu.


Last edited by alwayson on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Posts: 1302
Location: San Francisco, CA
Epistemes wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Here we go again.


I only ask not because I'm hankering to jump on board with Dzogchen - because I barely even understand what I'm doing now - but, if I were to choose to follow something like Dzogchen in the future, which member alwayson seems to think would be good for me now, there are no Dzogchen teachers near me and the idea intrigues me that any lama would allow his teachings to be learned through webcast.


It is a good idea to explore. I don't recommend committing to a path until you have a basic idea what it's about. There are life-altering consequences that go with taking someone as your teacher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am
Posts: 533
Actually one of these days I need to become a Vajrayana practitioner myself by doing the webcast.

Whenever he does the webcast, I am always busy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:08 pm
Posts: 106
Location: UK
Namdrol wrote:
alwayson wrote:
Yes exactly what are the prerequisites for webcast transmission?


You sign on.

The webcast transmission AFAIK happens only three times in a year and one should meet a senior student to learn few things like mudras and songs. It's described on dzogchencommunity.uk for example.

_________________
"Be Buddhist or be Buddha"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 234
Location: Here
deepbluehum wrote:

It is a good idea to explore. I don't recommend committing to a path until you have a basic idea what it's about. There are life-altering consequences that go with taking someone as your teacher.


Exploring is what I do. I also rush into things - but not this time. :reading:

_________________
Cantankerous Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:27 am 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Posts: 1062
Epistemes wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:

It is a good idea to explore. I don't recommend committing to a path until you have a basic idea what it's about. There are life-altering consequences that go with taking someone as your teacher.


Exploring is what I do. I also rush into things - but not this time. :reading:


His books, especially "The Crystal and the Way of Light", are well worth reading for an overview of vajrayana and especially dzogchen.

"As It Is" vols. 1 & 2 by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche are also very,very good.

_________________
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 143
Epistemes wrote:
Fu Ri Shin wrote:
Courageos act, that.

.... and pursue a dharma teacher.



no offense to your defection - good luck with it - this just reads really funny. i had a moment where i imagined dharma teachers everywhere suddenly getting all inexplicably nervous and looking around them.

:)


d


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 pm
Posts: 143
Epistemes wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Here we go again.


I only ask not because I'm hankering to jump on board with Dzogchen - because I barely even understand what I'm doing now - but, if I were to choose to follow something like Dzogchen in the future, which member alwayson seems to think would be good for me now, there are no Dzogchen teachers near me and the idea intrigues me that any lama would allow his teachings to be learned through webcast.



http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4052


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm
Posts: 155
Epistemes wrote:
Tonight I acknowledged to myself and to my partner that I am breaking away from Catholicism for good and am devoting myself strictly to learning and practicing the dharma.


Practice the ten virtuous actions while you are still considering your choice, you don't have to be a Buddhist to do them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 pm
Posts: 418
Epistemes wrote:
Tonight I acknowledged to myself and to my partner that I am breaking away from Catholicism for good and am devoting myself strictly to learning and practicing the dharma.


Why did you break away your Catholicism?

What are you searching in Buddhism?

_________________
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 am
Posts: 234
Location: Here
If meditation has afforded me one thing, it's afforded me the luxury of allowing me to be honest with myself rather than go on putting up some scharade. The biggest scharade is trying to live life by some supramundane ethical consequence. It's not that I'm an unethical or immoral person by Western standards, but I lack self-control and I find more freedom in being myself than restraining thoughts or speech for fear of karma. As a Christian, I spit in the face of sin, and now I say karma come what may.

Buddhism isn't the path for me. It's not that I disagree with the philosophy or the ethic, but it seems like a superfluous path when I've quite simply made up my mind to rather remain attached to certain people, things and principles, knowing that my walk of suffering will be difficult, than to give these things up for a state of mental bliss. For me, selflessness isn't just a philosophical principle which you read about, talk about, or meditate on, but it's an ethic in an of itself that you live everyday. I've realized that I would rather do everything within my ability to make sure my partner is happy and enjoys life even if that goal may prove impossible. Of course, St. Francis of Assisi said, "Start by doing the impossible, then you'll do the impossible," or some variation on that ethic. While Chandrakirti's consequential argument ad absurdum may ultimately prove the nothingness of my partner, myself and the moments we've shared in pleasure and pain, such an absurd life brings me more joy than any Indian thesis ever could. I have no desire to achieve enlightenment, not in this life or any other. I choose ignorance, I choose emotions, I choose pain, I choose death - and may all my reincarnations have the wisdom to do the same whether human, fish, worm or parasite. Bring me round again, karma, so that I can once again taste fresh snapper, dance to Sinatra, sip straight bourbon, and fall in love again.

I've learned a lot about Buddhism, but it's not for me. I don't suspect anything is but the play of life.

_________________
Cantankerous Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group