satti (shakti) concept in Pali

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rishi

satti (shakti) concept in Pali

Post by rishi »

Hi Everybody,

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but will dive in.

I'm interested in knowing more about what you think and feel, or resources that can tie together, or distinguish the Hindu concept of shakti, and it's manifestation in Pali and Buddhism, satti.

I was referred over from dw .com and had also asked there: No, I haven't seen it equivocated into Pali or Buddhism, however the idea of shakti as in shaktipat, and transmission of divine or spiritual energy, I seem to recollect, and this is often termed empowerment from the (so called) Buddhist side.

I was replied to that perhaps, Tantric, Vajrayana and maybe even Shingon/Tendai tradiitons could be telling.

So that brings this more into focus; how, what and where do we know about empowerment and transmission similar to this?

Thanks,

Risi :yinyang:
deepbluehum

Re: satti (shakti) concept in Pali

Post by deepbluehum »

To understand the difference between Hindu shakti and Buddhism, you need to study the Buddhist notions of the skandhas, dhatus and ayatanas. These ideas preclude the existence of divine energy. The Shivaite's basically ascribe to the Sankhya view which asserts a truly existent dualism. Based on this view, they ascribe to the power of "consciousness" to bless others with its energy through the guru's experience. Abhisheka in tantric Buddhism is different, because the purpose is for the student to experience the lack of true existence in the experiences of the skandhas, dhatus and ayatanas. In Abhisheka, the transference of blessings does not happen do to a transfer of energy but through dependent origination.
rishi

Post by rishi »

Thanks now we're geting somewhere. I'm not so stuck on terms so "divine" can be questioned, and your answer would mean that any non-physical entity, would have no effect on a human, as such a Bodhisattva would be a mere concept, no?

Also, could you break out what you mean by dependent origination?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

the Hindu concept of shakti, and it's manifestation in Pali and Buddhism, satti.
Is not the same.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

rishi wrote:Thanks now we're geting somewhere. I'm not so stuck on terms so "divine" can be questioned, and your answer would mean that any non-physical entity, would have no effect on a human, as such a Bodhisattva would be a mere concept, no?

Also, could you break out what you mean by dependent origination?

I don't follow your reasoning. I recommend you hit Google for dependent origination. There's tons of material you can read.
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

The commonalities between Hinduism and Buddhism are found in the chakras and channels such as the sushumna / avadhuti.

Pranayama is also similar.

But the concept of Shakti is a little different, unless you are defining Shakti as something going up the center channel. Only then would it be similar.

Of course the view of dependent origination, from the Buddhist side, is also different.

This is just my understanding being raised Hindu, and now Buddhist.
rishi

Post by rishi »

Yes, I would say shakti could go up the central channel, but so could generic prana/ pana.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Is any of this discussed in source literature, or is it secondary and culturally, traditionally attached to a specific region of Buddhism?

Also, if I ask this on another forum variety of Buddhism (e.g., Tibetan) might I get another answer?

Rishi :namaste:
alwayson

Post by alwayson »

If your goal is find similarities between Hinduism and Buddhism, I just told you.

They have the same channels, chakras, yogas, pranayamas.

Click on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completion_Stage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rishi

Post by rishi »

Also differences, correspondences, resources, source references, etc.

Thanks

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”