Renounced Catholicism

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Renounced Catholicism

Postby Epistemes » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Dechen Norbu wrote:I'm too a student of Chogyal Namhkai Norbu and what you say is over simplistic and, in fact, pretty far from what he teaches.

What does he teach?
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby Malcolm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Epistemes wrote:
Dechen Norbu wrote:I'm too a student of Chogyal Namhkai Norbu and what you say is over simplistic and, in fact, pretty far from what he teaches.

What does he teach?

He is a teacher of Dzogchen. Very famous, has a number of books Crystal and the Way of Light being chief among then. He is one of my main teachers.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby alwayson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Epistemes wrote:

What does he teach?

No offense, but you have to start using Google. :tongue:
alwayson

Postby Epistemes » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Epistemes wrote:

What does he teach?

I should have been more precise in my question. My fault. How can one person suggest a webcast and another suggest that this view is in error? From the angle, what does Mr. Norbu actually teach?
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby alwayson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Yes exactly what are the prerequisites for webcast transmission?
alwayson

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Here we go again.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Malcolm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:25 pm

alwayson wrote:Yes exactly what are the prerequisites for webcast transmission?

You sign on.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby alwayson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Namdrol wrote:

You sign on.

Simple enough then.
alwayson

Postby Epistemes » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Here we go again.

I only ask not because I'm hankering to jump on board with Dzogchen - because I barely even understand what I'm doing now - but, if I were to choose to follow something like Dzogchen in the future, which member alwayson seems to think would be good for me now, there are no Dzogchen teachers near me and the idea intrigues me that any lama would allow his teachings to be learned through webcast.
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby alwayson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Well I just said, IF you wanted to become a Vajrayana practitioner, thats how you do it.

See below:

alwayson wrote:If he wants to become a Vajrayana practitioner all he needs is a webcast transmission from Namkhai Norbu.
Last edited by alwayson on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alwayson

Postby deepbluehum » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Epistemes wrote:

I only ask not because I'm hankering to jump on board with Dzogchen - because I barely even understand what I'm doing now - but, if I were to choose to follow something like Dzogchen in the future, which member alwayson seems to think would be good for me now, there are no Dzogchen teachers near me and the idea intrigues me that any lama would allow his teachings to be learned through webcast.

It is a good idea to explore. I don't recommend committing to a path until you have a basic idea what it's about. There are life-altering consequences that go with taking someone as your teacher.
deepbluehum

Postby alwayson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Actually one of these days I need to become a Vajrayana practitioner myself by doing the webcast.

Whenever he does the webcast, I am always busy.
alwayson

Postby booker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Namdrol wrote:

You sign on.

The webcast transmission AFAIK happens only three times in a year and one should meet a senior student to learn few things like mudras and songs. It's described on dzogchencommunity.uk for example.
"Be Buddhist or be Buddha"
booker

Postby Epistemes » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 am

deepbluehum wrote:
It is a good idea to explore. I don't recommend committing to a path until you have a basic idea what it's about. There are life-altering consequences that go with taking someone as your teacher.

Exploring is what I do. I also rush into things - but not this time. :reading:
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Postby Paul » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:27 am

Epistemes wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:

Exploring is what I do. I also rush into things - but not this time. :reading:

His books, especially "The Crystal and the Way of Light", are well worth reading for an overview of vajrayana and especially dzogchen.

"As It Is" vols. 1 & 2 by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche are also very,very good.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul

Postby daelm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Epistemes wrote:
Fu Ri Shin wrote:Courageos act, that.

.... and pursue a dharma teacher.

no offense to your defection - good luck with it - this just reads really funny. i had a moment where i imagined dharma teachers everywhere suddenly getting all inexplicably nervous and looking around them.

:)

d
daelm

Postby daelm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Epistemes wrote:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4052
daelm

Postby Kai » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:23 am

Epistemes wrote:Tonight I acknowledged to myself and to my partner that I am breaking away from Catholicism for good and am devoting myself strictly to learning and practicing the dharma.

Practice the ten virtuous actions while you are still considering your choice, you don't have to be a Buddhist to do them.
Kai

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:21 am

Epistemes wrote:Tonight I acknowledged to myself and to my partner that I am breaking away from Catholicism for good and am devoting myself strictly to learning and practicing the dharma.

Why did you break away your Catholicism?

What are you searching in Buddhism?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
DarwidHalim

Postby Epistemes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 am

If meditation has afforded me one thing, it's afforded me the luxury of allowing me to be honest with myself rather than go on putting up some scharade. The biggest scharade is trying to live life by some supramundane ethical consequence. It's not that I'm an unethical or immoral person by Western standards, but I lack self-control and I find more freedom in being myself than restraining thoughts or speech for fear of karma. As a Christian, I spit in the face of sin, and now I say karma come what may.

Buddhism isn't the path for me. It's not that I disagree with the philosophy or the ethic, but it seems like a superfluous path when I've quite simply made up my mind to rather remain attached to certain people, things and principles, knowing that my walk of suffering will be difficult, than to give these things up for a state of mental bliss. For me, selflessness isn't just a philosophical principle which you read about, talk about, or meditate on, but it's an ethic in an of itself that you live everyday. I've realized that I would rather do everything within my ability to make sure my partner is happy and enjoys life even if that goal may prove impossible. Of course, St. Francis of Assisi said, "Start by doing the impossible, then you'll do the impossible," or some variation on that ethic. While Chandrakirti's consequential argument ad absurdum may ultimately prove the nothingness of my partner, myself and the moments we've shared in pleasure and pain, such an absurd life brings me more joy than any Indian thesis ever could. I have no desire to achieve enlightenment, not in this life or any other. I choose ignorance, I choose emotions, I choose pain, I choose death - and may all my reincarnations have the wisdom to do the same whether human, fish, worm or parasite. Bring me round again, karma, so that I can once again taste fresh snapper, dance to Sinatra, sip straight bourbon, and fall in love again.

I've learned a lot about Buddhism, but it's not for me. I don't suspect anything is but the play of life.
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Experience