YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Many lifetimes of paramita development needed to be aryan? - Page 29 - Dhamma Wheel

Many lifetimes of paramita development needed to be aryan?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Virgo

Re: Many lifetimes of paramita development needed to be aryan?

Postby Virgo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:58 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:00 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am

Greetings Kevin,

Is choice an action?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:13 am

Last edited by Virgo on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:17 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:19 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:21 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:25 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:49 am

Actually, Kevin there may be, using the commentaries, an easy way out of the corner in which you have painted yourself via a singular reading of the Abhidhamma.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:49 am

pt1

Postby pt1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:16 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:56 am

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

robertk

Postby robertk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:18 am

The burmese Abhidhamma teacher Thein Nyun in his preface to the DhatuKathu (PaliTextSociety) xxvii :

Because the functions of the elements give rise to the concepts of continuity, collection and form, the ideas arise:

1)the initial effort that has to be exerted when a deed is about to be performed and

2) the care that has to be taken while the deed is being performed to its completion and this leads to the subsequent ideas

3)"I can perform" and

4) "I can feel".

Thus these four imaginary characteristic functions of being have bought about a deep-rooted belief in their existence. But the elements have not the time or span of duration to carry out such functions" .

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 am

When I read pages and pages like this I continue to be thankful that I lack the sophistication I see applied to all of these kinds of things. These kinds of efforts also seem to be the sort of orientation towards truths which are immediately within us that appear to make the actual process of progressing towards understanding and freedom exceedingly difficult for so many people. I strongly suspect that if I had likewise turned to a study of buddhism before I had developed the kinds of very simple and direct insights that such pains are taken to circumnavigate that I would never have been so naive as to simply watch the insights and understanding arise in such a natural and unobstructed manner in the first place.

I offer my sympathy to all those suffering in such ways and I hope that you all get well soon. Failing that may you be one day blessed with a birth , as I was, in a place so entirely devoid of Dhamma teaching that you are compelled to search for it directly and within as I did and in that way most expediently find what you have been so long allegedly seeking without any apparent success.

While I know absolutely that the dhamma is directly approachable I do not claim to be an aryan because oddly enough some people are offended by the notion. I do not think that I was special in the past or that I am special in the present or that I will be special in the future. I am a very average person who simply would like to agree with the Buddha's teachings because it completely agrees with my understanding. I arrived at that understanding in the very same way that the Buddha describes all people journeying to and arriving at it and I do not think that is coincidental. At the same time I do not see anything about any other qualities of my character which correspond to any noteworthy degree of 'saintliness'. That is probably a problem for people interested in perpetuating various forms of religious orthodoxy but I do not think it is a problem for people who are simply interested in expediently understanding themselves and becoming free in many ways from various forms of suffering and dissatisfaction.

:namaste:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”