tendai and zen

klqv

tendai and zen

Post by klqv »

a simple question - or a question that might have a simple answer...

what does tendai say about zen? i gather that it's one of their pillars or something - but how do they classify it?
thanks ever so
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: tendai and zen

Post by Seishin »

Hi klqv,

I don't quite understand the question... when you say "zen" are you talking about the lineage of "zen" (soto, rinzai etc) or are you talking about zazen meditation?

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Hi klqv,

Please note, I am only a lay person and still learning so the following information might not be acurate;

The main meditation practice in Tendai is Maka Shikan, which originates from Tientai (Chinese) and is believed to be the forerunner to Chan (Zen). Here is a book which outlines the practice http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-Budd ... 52&sr=8-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm afraid I don't know of a free copy.

There are other practices which are also utilised such as contemplation, visualisation and mantra. Please see here for contemplation practice. http://dctendai.blogspot.com/2010/07/ho ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how (or if) meditation is classified in Tendai. Tendai is vast. All ordained members of the sangha have experience in most, if not, all areas of practice. However, because of the sheer size of Tendai, the average priest cannot master them all. Some choose mikkyo (mantras & rituals), some choose kaihogyo, some choose nembutsu and some choose meditation. I would guess to say that all these practices are "pillars" as Tendai views them as equal paths to enlightenment.

Some one like Jikan might have a more knowledgable answer. :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Tendai takes seated meditation very seriously.
klqv

Post by klqv »

hmm, i don't think i understand.

i remember that email course describing samatha-vipassana differently to just sitting.

i was asking really where rinzai and soto schools figured in zhiyi's pianchao - or is that just about scripture?
also i thought that tendai taught chan [because saicho had transmission from one of the early chan schools] as something in addition to tientai meditation [i think i got this idea from the essentials of the eight traditions book, which was a library book] and esoteric practices.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Maka (maha skt.) = great, shi = samatha, kan = vipassana. Maka shikan = maha samatha vipassana = great calming insight. This is different to the soto zen shikantaza, which is just sitting.

There are chan elements in Tendai but it's not a carbon copy of the chan/zen schools. Saicho created a new lineage in Japan, as I understand it, and that lineage has grown and changed since then.
i was asking really where rinzai and soto schools figured in zhiyi's pianchao - or is that just about scripture?
I'm sorry, I don't understand this question.

Gassho,
Seishin.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

The Rinzai and Soto schools did not exist in the time of Zhiyi.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Jikan wrote:The Rinzai and Soto schools did not exist in the time of Zhiyi.
Even in the time of Saicho they did not exist.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

The OP may have been prompted by a couple of threads that I started on the topic of "Tiantai Calming-and-Insight & Dhyāna Meditation" over at ZFI here.

Please feel free to come and join us, if you are interested. Note: It's in the Chan forum, because this text is a common basis for Chan; it is not in the Tiantai / Tendai forum.

~~ Huifeng
klqv

Post by klqv »

hi,

thanks for the answers... i think it is quite clear what you mean [ignoring ideas about what sort of buddhas soto and rinzai practitioners are said to be... which maybe isn't in th spirit of buddhism].

:)

Return to “Tendai”