Special Days

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Special Days

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Please feel free to post reminders about special days in this thread.
Last edited by Ngawang Drolma on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thornbush

Re: Special Days

Post by thornbush »

Here's a link to Japanese Vajrayana's Shingon annual celebrations: from the Kongobuji Koyasan Shingon Buddhism headquarters: http://www.koyasan.or.jp/english/kongobuji/events.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Namu Amida Butsu!
Luke

Post by Luke »

It's kind of early, but I wanted to remind everyone that the H.H. the Dalai Lama's birthday is exactly one month from today (July 6th)! Start baking the cakes, it's going to be huge, baby!

My sangha will actually celebrate His Holiness' birthday on the 11th because we'll be busy doing a Medicine Buddha retreat before this.

ImageImageImageImage

OM MANI PEME HUNG
Drolma

Post by Drolma »

Happy Saka Dawa!
The full moon day of Saka Dawa commemorates Lord Buddha's birth, enlightenment, and parinirvana. As cited by Lama Zopa Rinpoche in the Vinaya text Treasure of Quotations and Logic, virtuous actions done on this day are multiplied one hundred million times.

:heart: :buddha1: :heart:

Tayata om muni muni maha muniye soha
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

Thank you! :thanks: Was observing the Upavasa today, good to know it has more significance! :twothumbsup:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Medicine Buddha day is tomorrow, Tara practice or Mahakala puja are also advised by Lama Zopa.

:namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Saturday, January 30, 2010 is Amitabha Day. This is the next to the last merit multiplying day in the current lunar calendar (Earth Ox). Merit is said to be multiplied 100 times.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Devotee

Post by Devotee »

When is the next merit multiplying day?

I have done badly on the 30th :p

Can anyone please post a full calendar? :p
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Devotee wrote:When is the next merit multiplying day?
The next merit multiplying day is Feb 13 2009, the day before Losar. This is the New Moon and is therefore a Shakyamuni Buddha Day. Merit is said to be multiplied 100 times.

Then begining the next day, 14 Feb, we have a month of merit multiplying days during the first month of new lunar year. Merit is said to be multiplied 100,000 times. There is also Chotrul Duchen during that period (16th day of the first lunar month - so about March 2nd) and merit for this day is said to be multiplied 10,000,000 times. This day is the butter lamp festival. The first 15 days of the month were days on which Lord Buddha performed different miracles according to the Tibetan tradition (don't know if there is a sutric reference for this).

Excellent make-up time, esp. after a disastrous 2009.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Thank you!

Just a question: are there differences between northern and southern hemisphere, or time zones?
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Devotee wrote:Thank you!

Just a question: are there differences between northern and southern hemisphere, or time zones?

Oh yes. In the Southern Hemisphere, all karma is inverted so all practices lead directly to the hell realms. If you are located in the Southern Hemisphere, move immediately!

:tongue:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Devotee wrote:Just a question: are there differences between northern and southern hemisphere, or time zones?
No although there are actual times for the start and end of days based on Tibetan astrology that do not coincide with the Western calendar. And there are actual time differences that might cause problems if you want to practice at the exact same time as someone else on the planet (for example right now is 3:14 pm 1 Feb in DC and in New Dehli it's 1:44 am 2 Feb).

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kirtu wrote: There is also Chotrul Duchen during that period (16th day of the first lunar month - so about March 2nd) and merit for this day is said to be multiplied 10,000,000 times.
:oops:

Chotrul Duchen is 28 Feb 2010!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Devotee

Post by Devotee »

catmoon wrote:
Devotee wrote:Thank you!

Oh yes. In the Southern Hemisphere, all karma is inverted so all practices lead directly to the hell realms. If you are located in the Southern Hemisphere, move immediately!

:tongue:

Or if you want to do bad things but be rewarded for them, move to the south! :rolling:

Honestly, this made my day :-)

Seriously though...

Kirtu, I did research, found the FPMT website. It says 100 million times, for New and Full Moons...

Why is there a difference between traditions?
Also... If reciting certain mantras or sutras can bring infinitely massive amount of merits, how come there are days not suitable for prayer flags, and other religious activities?

This is all very interesting and fascinating to me. I'm familiar with the Chinese calendar, but not the Tibetan one...
:anjali:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Devotee wrote:Kirtu, I did research, found the FPMT website. It says 100 million times, for New and Full Moons...

Why is there a difference between traditions?
I'm not sure there is as the traditions are practically the same with respect to sutra and much of tantra. Apparently the merit multiplying days come from sutra and perhaps different sutras say different things about the multiplication.

There is no reference to merit multiplication in the Pal Sakya calendar booklet for the coming year although all the days are listed. Jeff Watt's Sakya Resource Guide calendar page lists the new moon and full moon (the 15th and 30th day in the lunar calendar) as 100-fold merit multiplying days and references the Kshitigarbha Sutra (all the merit multiplication listed there refrences the Kshitigarbha Sutra - however I can't find the reference in the sutra so I will ask my lama although I have read other references to merit multiplying days in other sutras).

In posting online I have almost always listed special days and merit multiplication from Buz Overbeck's excellent Tibetan eCalendar application which lists all the major special days and inauspicious flag raising days, etc. However he does not list the 14th, 23rd or the 29th day of the lunar calendar as special (the Sakya sources do).
Also... If reciting certain mantras or sutras can bring infinitely massive amount of merits, how come there are days not suitable for prayer flags, and other religious activities?
I don't know. I have been told that prayer flag hanging is from Bon so perhaps the unfavorable days comes from that (however I'll bet that we can find a sutric reference to prayer flags or perhaps we can find it from India after 600 AD).
This is all very interesting and fascinating to me. I'm familiar with the Chinese calendar, but not the Tibetan one...
Both the Chinese and Tibetan calendar are lunar-solar calendars and are mostly the same. However I don't know if there are astrological differences between the two calendars.

BTW there are at least two Tibetan calendars (there might be three).

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Devotee

Post by Devotee »

Well, for the Chinese calendar, certain festivals/deities are incompatible with certain Zodiacs. Unlucky zodiacs are adviced to stay away from certain deities (this is totally compatible with Taoist cosmology where everything is based on duality, etc).

In Chinese Buddhsim, we are taught that certain holy days are more in touch with the Heavenly and Spirit realms, and that these Spiritual beings can be of help to the cultivator if he does good deeds during these days (Buddha Birthdays, full and new moon, etc). It's the "merit multiply" aspect of Tibetan Buddhism that seems very new to me.

Although--and I say this again--it strikes me odd that religious ceremonies are said to be plagued with obstacles and bad luck on certain days. From what I know, all sutras, mantras and good deeds DISPEL bad karma, not create them. Could someone please clarify this?

:thanks:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Would it be stepping on too many toes if I ask; Where did the idea of merit multiplying days originate?

I mean if a lifetime is something like 20,000 or 30,000 days, and merit is multiplied by 100,000,000 , then it seems that one could accumulate the equivalent of 3000 lifetimes' worth of merit by putting in a normal amount of practice on the right day.
There should be Buddhas popping up like mushrooms!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
ground

Post by ground »

Of course you have the freedom to ask questions. But an analytical approach is generally not appropriate for vajrayana.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

catmoon wrote:Would it be stepping on too many toes if I ask; Where did the idea of merit multiplying days originate?

I mean if a lifetime is something like 20,000 or 30,000 days, and merit is multiplied by 100,000,000 , then it seems that one could accumulate the equivalent of 3000 lifetimes' worth of merit by putting in a normal amount of practice on the right day.
There should be Buddhas popping up like mushrooms!
We have accumulated negativity for uncountable lifetimes. And we frequently diminish our current store of merit through negative actions (like anger for example).

Also, while I don't think this is a literal teaching, I personally have found serious practice on merit multiplying days to be efficacious in reducing my negativities.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

malthus

Post by malthus »

Hi there,

Today (Feb 24) is the 10th day of the Tibetan month, which is traditionally dedicated to Guru Rinpoche. You can do tsog, if you know how, or you can just do the seven-line prayer "o gyan yul gyi nup chang tsham", etc. which I believe has been posted elsewhere in these forums.

(Apologies to those of you in earlier time zones ... if people are interested in Tibetan calendar days, I will try to be a little more proactive.)

Is everyone here more or less familiar with the Tibetan calendar, the lunar month and how it all works?

Warm regards,

malthus

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”