YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

interaction with environment? - Dhamma Wheel

interaction with environment?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

wouter_doorn

interaction with environment?

Postby wouter_doorn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Dear all,

as far as I understand citta have the characteristic of cognizing, of knowing. I (think) I understand the principle pf how the citta receive information from the environment, like when eye sees an object and the whole vithi starts. But what I do not understand is how the return path works. What I mean is, for example, when I hear a sound and my head turns and my eyes look at where the sound comes from. What is it that makes my head turn? how do the citta interact with the body? I am not talking about the place where mind and body interact (I have heard that that is a place in the heart muscle?) but more about the working of citta and cetasika in this process.

hope somebody can help!

metta,

Wouter
Last edited by wouter_doorn on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reductor

Re: interaction with environment?

Postby Reductor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Turning and acting is a function of volition (thinking), which is the key to Kamma, and Kamma is the active force in dependent co-arising. So you can see that when you think and act in reaction to 'contact' you are creating new kamma which causes new 'contact' as you interact with the environment that your previous kamma changed. And so there is a this continues feedback going on and on.

As to how the mind interacts with the body: you have it wrong.... they are not two things that interact only in a limited space, but are actually one thing. There is no mind without body, the body is only a lump of elements without mind... in the suttas it is said that consciouness is dependent upon materiality-and-mentality (body-and-nervous system), and materiality-and-mentality is dependent upon consciousness. If you take a bio mechanical view of things, it is clear that the nervous system that is responsible for processing input from the senses and controlling the body, is in fact a part of that very body.

pt1

Postby pt1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:05 am

wouter_doorn

Postby wouter_doorn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:49 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:57 am

Greetings thereductor,

Further to your query, I believe you are correct. The suttas speak of a physical support for the mind, but the Buddha does not specify precisely where that is.

It seems to be only in the commentaries that the physical location comes to be attributed to the heart, as was one of the prevailing beliefs at the time in India.

[Which neither makes it inherently right or wrong - only that in this particular sub-forum, that is sufficiently authoritative in itself]

:focus:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:46 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:48 am

No worries, thereductor... just taking a couple of pre-emptive steps to help keep the topic on track.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:32 pm

I think the location of the mind is mentioned as being in the heart and the head in the visuddhi (vimutti?) magga- as you can see I'm not sure. But emotions and thoughts seem to be felt in the heart and the head experientially -so more recently even though I dismissed it first, I feel there maybe some authenticity in this story.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

wouter_doorn

Postby wouter_doorn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 am

Return to “Abhidhamma”