YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What is holding you back from ordaining? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

What is holding you back from ordaining?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
pilgrim

Re: What is holding you back from ordaining?

Postby pilgrim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 am

Not sure if I can handle the boredom. I enjoy visiting monasteries, but after a few hours there, I start thinking. "OK, its time to go".

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:12 am

really? when i'm at temple i never want to leave...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 am

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:25 am

effort

Postby effort » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:42 am

good for you all, but here i'm in trouble with my instincts, and always thinking that there is a lot of time when you ordained how long you can read scriptures, how many hours in the day you can study dhamma and meditate, and as monk what you will do the rest of the time, but first i have to deal with my sexual desire and food ( during retreat that damn McDonald sign become vivid! after some time i have to turn that into my nimitta :thinking: :stirthepot: :pig: ).

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Effort,
is that really your nimita?
or were you just standing there salivating? :jumping: :jumping:

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Clueless Git

Postby Clueless Git » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:02 pm

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 pm

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:09 pm

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 am

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Vardali

Postby Vardali » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:38 am

What is holding me back is household obligations (I am the breadwinner here, too), but also my opinion that at the stage of the path I am on, I would just swap "layperson"-dukkha with "monastic"-dukkha.

I feel fortunate that - other than my obligations to earn our roof over the head and food on the table - I have all freedom in the world to practice.

So it is up to make the most of it (which I am not fully utilize yet) wherever I am.
And I am just not convinced that the monastic way is the only path to renunciation (I would be wondering of how much of monastic life is actually avoidance?)

:anjali:

Kokoro

Postby Kokoro » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:57 pm

It is my hope to ordain some day, but before I do that I must settle my debts, financial and otherwise, and if this life should end before I am able to ordain, then I hope to be able to do so in the next life as early on as possible once any remaining debts from this life if left unsettled upon its end, are satisfied.

:anjali:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:06 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Wind

Postby Wind » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 am

Vardali

Postby Vardali » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Retro, I am sure that monastic life allows you a more stringent focus on all aspects of practise. That's deffo a plus :)

Perhaps my opinion - and it is nothing more than that ;) - is biased from the impression I have gotten from my Christian background, but it appears to me that a key component of monastic life is to minimize "temptation". And while I'm aware that there is much more to practise, I hope the following example illustrates my personal unreadiness with the monastic approach.

I mean, a whole lot of practise is aiming at guarding the sense-doors. One way obviously is by strengthening the "internal" guards and level of awareness. The other is by minimizing exposure. That to me, this latter part feels a bit like a cop-out, like removing options to ensure that one doesn't pick the "wrong" choice. :) By doing so, you may start feeling confident that you have mastered some restraint, even though this is just based on lack of opportunity. I want to be sure I can overcome craving and clinging while it is a very real "threat", or I cannot feel I have safely mastered this challenge.

If your path in that respect is clear and you do not have such reservations, good for you :) I, myself, just want to make sure I'm not falling into a "the grass is greener on the othe side" of practise of an -perhaps - idealised perception of renunciate lifestyle that leads to a illusionary sense of "safety" due more to lack of options/choice rather than proper safeguarding mind and sense-doors.

This is just part of it, though, but I am afraid I cannot make my personal concern much clearer than that :)

with metta,
V.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”