Time well Spent?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Karma Yeshe

Time well Spent?

Post by Karma Yeshe »

Hi All,

This might have been a topic already but here goes...

I have been a part of the Kagyu Lineage for several years, having Taken Refuge and am studing under the guidance of a qualified spiritual Teacher. Although this path has been a perfect fit for me, I do find it interesting to learn about the other schools and Lineages of Buddhism. Hoever, there are times when I wonder if the time and effort that I spend on this exploration would be better spent in Practice and contemplation of the work I have in front of me. One of the things that my lama stresses is that for many of us who live in the west there is always time to practice due to a defined work week , days off etc. Between books and the internet it is very easy to explore a wide range of topics in great detail It is also very easy to lose track of time and realize that I have not meditated.

Is there a value in the study and debate of other paths and schools , or is this simply one more thing to attach to and time wasted?

Thanks,

Dan
What Is...What Was...What Could be...What must never Be.
The Doctor

Something Old...Something New...Something Borrowed...Something Blue.
Amy Pond
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Time well Spent?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I think you should do what you feel drawn to do, and know your own mind. If you are a kagyu and you want to do an academic or scholarly study comparing the various traditions, this will probably benefit you. My tradition is kagyu, but I have learned a lot studying all kinds of traditions. Also, what i have learned through my Kagyu teachers has given me some "interesting ways of understanding" other traditions. But if you are sort of grasping at straws, trying to see what one has to offer that another may have left out or whatever, then that is probably more of a waste of time. This certainly doesn't mean you won't learn something useful, and I think it is good to read stuff from various traditions, but, I think, it is better to keep your feet planted in one tradition. I don't think it is ever a waste of time to study and learn about things you do not know. Currently, I am alternating between books on mahamudra and German expressionism.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

I would say that a deep and authentic realization of the all-encompassing space results in perception unhindered by attachment or aversion to sensory dharmas. He who opens his eyes without staring or flinching does not have to believe or disbelieve. I know nothing of Vajrayana. (so there may be higher considerations I'm not taking into account)
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

It's all a question of balance, I suppose.

If you have time available after a good practice session I don't see any harm in learning more about other Dharma traditions or perspectives. Swanning about on the webz arguing points and wasting time down blind alleys and dead-ends would indeed be a waste of precious practice time.

The Dharma is a vast, rich field and we can easily get lost in all the bells and whistles, so I think your question is one we should all regularly ask ourselves in that search for balance.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

I think the most important thing to do is to put your root Guru's instructions into practice and rely upon him completely.

I always come back to that myself, although sometimes,with the Dharma, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and want to taste many different books and instructions, but I'm seriously asking myself what the point is when relying completely on my Guru is what is going to bring the results I desire.

I rejoice in your practice, be well and practise the best you can. :smile:
Karma Yeshe

Post by Karma Yeshe »

Tsongkhapafan wrote:I think the most important thing to do is to put your root Guru's instructions into practice and rely upon him completely.

I always come back to that myself, although sometimes,with the Dharma, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and want to taste many different books and instructions, but I'm seriously asking myself what the point is when relying completely on my Guru is what is going to bring the results I desire.

I rejoice in your practice, be well and practise the best you can. :smile:
I really like the way you put this...Thanks !
What Is...What Was...What Could be...What must never Be.
The Doctor

Something Old...Something New...Something Borrowed...Something Blue.
Amy Pond
Kunga Leshe

Post by Kunga Leshe »

I think it's good to keep your ears perked, just so long as the curiosity doesn't become more important than your practice.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”