Pureland,Physics,Science,

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
TheWay

Pureland,Physics,Science,

Post by TheWay »

this is a good video about relation between purelands and science.it makes sense to me. :twothumbsup:
phpBB [video]
Karma Yeshe

Re: Pureland,Physics,Science,

Post by Karma Yeshe »

Sad to say, He is way off on a great deal of his bassic science.

Try reading Brian Greene 's book "the Hidden Reality". It is very much in line with the Buddhist Teachings anf he gets the science right.
What Is...What Was...What Could be...What must never Be.
The Doctor

Something Old...Something New...Something Borrowed...Something Blue.
Amy Pond
TheWay

Post by TheWay »

oh :oops: :|
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

The documentary is interesting and i think that scientifically speaking is correct too, but i may be wrong.

In fact, as my interesting and knowledge on buddhism grew, i could notice that many teachings were similar o scientific views.

The author of the video could even talk about other interesting scientific things.

For example, he speaks on being at 2 places at same time because distance can be considered zero when travelling at speed of light. Well, first of all, i never heard that s i am happy because i learned something new :); but coming back on topic, the author could say too that accordingly to quantic theory its possible for some particles to behave like if they were at 2 places at same time. Quantic theory is amazing! I read a very good book (cant remember right now the name) where the authors (physics cientists in the field of quantic theory) conclude that while doing some experiments with particles, we can say that their behaviour depends on our toughts!

There is a lot of incredible things we could say here about buddhism and science.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

They covered Einsteins special theory of relativity in a physics course I took in college, so I'm familiar with it. The explanation of the theory given in the documentary is pretty accurate. It's hard for people to believe that space and time is relative. Maybe 5 years ago on a Internet forum (a Buddhist forum I think), I explained the twin paradox and think that most people there didn't believe me. :crying: But science has proven the special theory of relativity correct over and over again. The theory predicts time dilation and that was proven correct various different ways using particle accelerators and atomic clocks.

Though the documentary explains the science fairly well, I don't like the way it draws parallels between statements in the sutras and science. It seems to me that the sutras are often not discussing physical things but the documentary is looking for physical explanations.

I do think that the theory of relativity does support Buddhism though, because it shows that masses, distances, and time aren't fixed like people think, but vary with the reference frames of the observers.
:namaste:
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Nosta wrote:In fact, as my interesting and knowledge on buddhism grew, i could notice that many teachings were similar o scientific views.
Shouldn't it be: "Scientific theory were similar to the teaching"?
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Maybe :)

What matters here is that i see buddhism and science aproaching each other even more.

Another example: buddhism cosmology says that there wasnt a starting point of universe; there is "stuff" (stars, protons, light, life, etc) since always. But we have big bang and that may sound like counterintuitive, but scientific comunity is saying more and more that there were, probably, lots of big bangs before the one that created Earth. And possibly there are other universes being created or destroyed, right now.

Return to “Media”