Buddhafield or Pure Land

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sönam

Buddhafield or Pure Land

Post by Sönam »

Both are used, and it seems that both refere to the exact same concept ... Buddhaksetra / Zhing Khams.

Is there any differences between ?

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Nosta

Re: Buddhafield or Pure Land

Post by Nosta »

That question was debated here at a few weeks ago i think.

Anyway, the short answer from someone not into such subjects, i think that a Zhing Kham refers to a given place where a Buddha arises and teaches. In this way you may have a impure Zhing Kham, like Earth, a place born from Samsara and Kamma, so to say. Our Earth is the place where Buddha Shakyamuni taught and can only appear as pure to the eyes of very pure people (biddhistavas, enlightened people, etc), otherwise will seem as impure to the eyes of "ordinary" people.

But we also have pure Zing Khams, created by Buddhas. Such Zhing Khams are pure, even to the eyes of ordinary people; also, its not easy to reborn their. The Pure Land of Amitabha and the Pure Land of Medicine Buddha are 2 examples of pure Zhing Khams.

Please, note that i may be wrong. I am not a schoolar and i have heard about Zhing Khams only here at a few weeks ago! If i am wrong, please, someone correct me.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

thank you Nosta, I will try to found the original thread ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

The term "pure land" has appeared in Chinese Buddhism, first as a term for Amitabha's buddha-land, then it's become the common term for any buddha-land. So I'd say it's simply a matter of language.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

found it ... had my answers ... thank you
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”