What brought you to the Dharma?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: What brought you to the Dharma?

Postby justsit » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Dorje63 wrote:Many years ago I'd been reading Thomas Merton. He'd written, "Teach me to go to the country beyond words." I followed him east and found the Buddha Dharma.

:twothumbsup:
justsit

Postby Karma K Sonam » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:40 am

Going to India and a lot of happy coincidences :smile:
don't forget to stop and smell the daisies.
Karma K Sonam

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:55 am

Since I posted this question, here's my answer. Ultimately, it was watching a cartoon mouse named Hashimoto-San, sometime around 1960:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMTeJ7Y ... DA214110A8

By today's standards, this cartoon might seem somewhat offensive. But it was important when it was created and shown on CBS less than 15 years after the end of WW2. There were a handful of these cartoons created by Japanese animator Bob Kuwahara. I was 3 or 4 years old at the time, and this immediately created for me an interest in Japan, which led to reading Zen books later on.

When I originally posted this question, I was thinking about karma, and about how an unlikely string of events can pull one through life, from one thing to another. Today I wonder how many younger Buddhists in the west could, ultimately, trace their beginnings in the Dharma back to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Previous

Return to Personal Experience