YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Gratitude Meditation - Dhamma Wheel

Gratitude Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jackson

Gratitude Meditation

Postby jackson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if there is a systematized meditation akin to metta meditation but for cultivating gratitude, and if so could someone give me a link to it?
Metta,
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Gratitude Meditation

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:19 am

Isn't gratitude a bit different from mudita (being happy in another's happiness)? :smile:

I think it is a slightly overlooked quality even though the Buddha has said that it is a rare person in this world who is grateful. If you cant find one, you should make your own one up and let us know as well!
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:48 am

It is rowyourboat, but its hard to imagine some who developes metta and mudita , not as a by- product rejoicing in their own blessings.

jackson

Postby jackson » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Thankyou for you replies!
I never really associated gratitude with mudita before, but now that I think about it they are closely related, and I never thought of directing mudita towards oneself, which sounds like a good idea. The way I was thinking of gratitude was more along the lines of reflecting on the four requisites and gratitude towards ones parents, but I'm wondering, would being grateful for someone elses' fortune be a highly developed form of mudita? I always saw sympathetic joy as rejoicing in others successes, but being grateful for others successes seems like it would be quite a lofty aspiration, or perhaps I'm taking it to extremes beyond what the Buddha taught? I'm interested to know.
Metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:33 pm

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:18 am

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the link nonetheless. Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”