Master Xu Yuns teachings in China?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Rinchen Dorje

Master Xu Yuns teachings in China?

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I don't remember where I read about it or heard about it but I remember hearing that some monastery in China has published around 10 -12 volumes of Master Xu Yuns teachings in Chinese. Anyone have any concrete information on this?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Master Xu Yuns teachings in China?

Post by kirtu »

Have you checked his biography (by Charles Luk)? There's lots of material there and it might be mentioned.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Anders

Post by Anders »

Fa Dao wrote:I don't remember where I read about it or heard about it but I remember hearing that some monastery in China has published around 10 -12 volumes of Master Xu Yuns teachings in Chinese. Anyone have any concrete information on this?
I am pretty sure that is the case. I imagine ven Jinghui or some such being the driving force as probably the most prominent student of Xu Yun today.

Perhaps more interesting is the rumour I heard a few years ago that some Ph.d student was working on translating these full volumes into English. Now that would really be something. This was of the 3rd/4th/possibly-5th hand variety and I haven't heard anything more concrete than that and nothing since, but fingers crossed that it happens.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Kirtu- I have read Charles Luk's work but it was done a long time ago. This other that I heard about was more recent.
Anders- yes, that would be incredibly cool if we could get an English translation. Even better if Red Pine would do it.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
remm

Post by remm »

The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas has some of his teachings in Chinese, though not translated yet, I believe.

Also, there was a text that one of the Dharma Master in CTTB wanted to read, but I think there was only one copy left in the entire world and it is situated in the University of Washington (I think). It was Ven. Xu Yun's guide to Ananda Jennings on her practice in meditation.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Fa Dao wrote:I don't remember where I read about it or heard about it but I remember hearing that some monastery in China has published around 10 -12 volumes of Master Xu Yuns teachings in Chinese. Anyone have any concrete information on this?
It was published by Ven Jing Hui and his disciples at Bailin si (aka: Bolin si).
It comes in a nice boxed set.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Huifeng,
but as of now there is no english translation, right? Also how does one get a copy of the boxed set?
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Fa Dao wrote:Huifeng,
but as of now there is no english translation, right? Also how does one get a copy of the boxed set?
No, no English translation as yet. And probably not for a long time, given the resources in this area.
I'll check the library tomorrow (it's closed today - Sunday), and see the address for the publishers.
So, will get back to you.

My only gripe is that it's in jianti, not in fanti. :P
some1

Post by some1 »

Huifeng wrote:
It was published by Ven Jing Hui and his disciples at Bailin si (aka: Bolin si).
It comes in a nice boxed set.
Just found a 2009 edition (9 volumes) at Amazon China

出版社: 中州古籍出版社; 第1版 (2009年10月1日)
丛书名: 虚雲和尚全集
平装: 3501页
正文语种: 简体中文
ISBN: 7534831121, 9787534831126
商品尺寸: 24.6 x 16.6 x 16.4 cm
商品重量: 4.6 Kg
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Some1...very nice, thanks for the link

Huifeng...agreed..my Chinese is now very limited but I still prefer traditional over simplified
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

some1 wrote: Just found a 2009 edition (9 volumes) at Amazon China

出版社: 中州古籍出版社; 第1版 (2009年10月1日)
丛书名: 虚雲和尚全集
平装: 3501页
正文语种: 简体中文
ISBN: 7534831121, 9787534831126
商品尺寸: 24.6 x 16.6 x 16.4 cm
商品重量: 4.6 Kg
That's the one! :smile: