Prajnaparamita Mantra

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
devilyoudont

Prajnaparamita Mantra

Post by devilyoudont »

Can I chant either of these mantras without initiation? (And uh, are they real? :lol: )

http://www.visiblemantra.org/prajnaparamita.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Huifeng

Re: Prajnaparamita Mantra

Post by Huifeng »

devilyoudont wrote:Can I chant either of these mantras without initiation? (And uh, are they real? :lol: )

http://www.visiblemantra.org/prajnaparamita.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sure.

By the way, because the site itself doesn't mention this, the seed syllable "dhīḥ" is used because as a word, it means "intelligence" in a sense very similar to "prajñā".
The second is just an invocation, hence the "namo" at the start.
To make things simpler, you could also just recite the syllable "a", which is the Prajñāpāramitā in a single letter.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real".
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Huifeng wrote:Sure.
Thank you, venerable. (Aren't you venerable Huifeng from E-Sangha?)
Huifeng wrote:By the way, because the site itself doesn't mention this, the seed syllable "dhīḥ" is used because as a word, it means "intelligence" in a sense very similar to "prajñā".
Yes, it says so in a linked article.
Huifeng wrote:The second is just an invocation, hence the "namo" at the start.
To make things simpler, you could also just recite the syllable "a", which is the Prajñāpāramitā in a single letter.
Thanks.
Huifeng wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "real".
Well, these sites tend to be associated with FWBO-esque organizations known for disseminating misinformation.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

devilyoudont wrote:
Huifeng wrote:Sure.
Thank you, venerable. (Aren't you venerable Huifeng from E-Sangha?)
[/quote]

Yes. But usually I'm known as Huifeng from Foguang Shan, rather than from E-Sangha. :tongue:
vinodh

Post by vinodh »

Oh Huifeng !

:buddha2:

Nice to see you here, posting again !!! :twothumbsup:

:bow:

:anjali:

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Huifeng wrote:Yes. But usually I'm known as Huifeng from Foguang Shan, rather than from E-Sangha. :tongue:
:anjali:
Jayarava

Post by Jayarava »

Well, these sites tend to be associated with FWBO-esque organizations known for disseminating misinformation.
Actually I put a lot of time and effort into researching the information on the website. It isn't an FWBO-esque organisation - I am a member of the Order formerly known as the Western Buddhist Order, now the Triratna Buddhist Order. The site is my personal website, and the result of many 100's of hours of study and research. I've studied Sanskrit and Pāli, and many of the scripts used in ancient India. I have also consulted experts in a variety of traditions on details. I've always been open to feedback and have always done my best to accommodate such feedback and improve the website. There is no doubt that it can be improved, but nothing is perfect. A lot of corrections were included in the book, which have yet to make it onto the site - I work alone and there's only so much one person can do.

If you have any feedback on my work I'd be happy to hear it.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Jayarava wrote:
Actually I put a lot of time and effort into researching the information on the website. It isn't an FWBO-esque organisation - I am a member of the Order formerly known as the Western Buddhist Order, now the Triratna Buddhist Order. The site is my personal website, and the result of many 100's of hours of study and research. I've studied Sanskrit and Pāli, and many of the scripts used in ancient India. I have also consulted experts in a variety of traditions on details. I've always been open to feedback and have always done my best to accommodate such feedback and improve the website. There is no doubt that it can be improved, but nothing is perfect. A lot of corrections were included in the book, which have yet to make it onto the site - I work alone and there's only so much one person can do.

If you have any feedback on my work I'd be happy to hear it.
I check in to your site from time to time and I have always found something of value.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
himalayanspirit

Post by himalayanspirit »

What are the benefits of chanting 'a' except establishing Shamatha? Does anyone have any experiences to share?

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”