Rigpa a view ...

Sönam

Re: Rigpa a view ...

Post by Sönam »

I think what I've got to do here is reread Crystal and The Way of Light after I reread Supreme Source and practice-wise dedicate some serious time to Vajrasattva practice.

... or maybe follow ChNN's introductions/teachings until you get it!

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

Or find a teacher you actually consider to be a Dzogchen master...
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

In response to last 2 posts.

Sonam: Been doing that for years already, kind of floating along at about the same place, more or less. Namdrol suggested I do Vajrasattva practice. Some things I read in Supreme Source about kriya and yoga tantras and elsewhere (as well as comments I remember Namkhai Norbu making) recently gave me the idea that, as opposed to what you suggested (which I've already been doing), I should follow Namdrol's advice.

Pero: How provocative. I mean presumptuous. Sorry, I get my "p" words mixed up sometimes. Jennifer Fox is in a similar position to me and I'm quite sure she, like me, considers Namkhai Norbu a real Dzogchen master, too.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:Pero: How provocative. I mean presumptuous. Sorry, I get my "p" words mixed up sometimes. Jennifer Fox is in a similar position to me and I'm quite sure she, like me, considers Namkhai Norbu a real Dzogchen master, too.
Not at all considering that in your post that got deleted you were lamenting that you can't receive teachings from a Dzogchen master. Or something to that effect, forgot exactly. I remember though that I was going to ask you what is Rinpoche to you if not a Dzogchen master but then the topic got deleted. I know I wasn't nice, but when you say strange things like that what am I supposed to think?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Pero wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Pero: How provocative. I mean presumptuous. Sorry, I get my "p" words mixed up sometimes. Jennifer Fox is in a similar position to me and I'm quite sure she, like me, considers Namkhai Norbu a real Dzogchen master, too.
Not at all considering that in your post that got deleted you were lamenting that you can't receive teachings from a Dzogchen master. Or something to that effect, forgot exactly. I remember though that I was going to ask you what is Rinpoche to you if not a Dzogchen master but then the topic got deleted. I know I wasn't nice, but when you say strange things like that what am I supposed to think?
Exactly: you "forgot exactly." Probably shouldn't make silly, presumptuous comments on things you sort of remember. If anything, I was lamenting the inability to get close and personal with a dzogchen master and stated that my contact with Namkhai Norbu is very limited. Out of the 4 times I've tried to contact him for help, based on the suggestion of other DC members, he responded twice and, while the response was comforting: "you don't worry, you do your best. ciao ciao!" it didn't really help me much.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:
Pero wrote:
Exactly: you "forgot exactly." Probably shouldn't make silly, presumptuous comments on things you sort of remember. If anything, I was lamenting the inability to get close and personal with a dzogchen master and stated that my contact with Namkhai Norbu is very limited. Out of the 4 times I've tried to contact him for help, based on the suggestion of other DC members, he responded twice and, while the response was comforting: "you don't worry, you do your best. ciao ciao!" it didn't really help me much.
I don't remember what you wrote exactly but I do remember my reply exactly. I apologize for misunderstanding you, but from your post it didn't seem to me at all that that's what you meant.
For Rinpoche you need to write short and clear emails (not always easy) and not expect longer replies. For longer and more difficult things I think it's better to write to Jim, Elio or Adriano. Or others too I guess, like if you trust some older students of Rinpoche. I mentioned those three because they're well known and I've met them and listened to some of their explanations.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Pero wrote: I don't remember what you wrote exactly but I do remember my reply exactly. I apologize for misunderstanding you, but from your post it didn't seem to me at all that that's what you meant.
It is exactly what I meant. The only reason I ever turned to other dzogchen teachers after Namkhai Norbu (much after) was because I was having difficulty processing the amount of information as well as difficulty with the webcasts due to poor recording quality, his accent, the long pauses with a translator hurriedly repeating everything in a different language, plus all of these factors combined with technical Tibetan language terminology which he often expects his students to know while he is teaching. A Tibetan word you've seen in print but never heard aloud is difficult to recognize in the context of a poor quality recording given by a man with an accent which is already difficult to follow due to the lulls in conversation for translation breaks. It is like driving down a highway with the repetitive bump of concrete seams; I have fallen asleep trying my damnedest to pay attention MANY times. Just as often, I have made it through the entire webcast and realized afterward I didn't really get much understanding out of it at all, but just a foggy head.
Pero wrote:For Rinpoche you need to write short and clear emails (not always easy) and not expect longer replies. For longer and more difficult things I think it's better to write to Jim, Elio or Adriano. Or others too I guess, like if you trust some older students of Rinpoche. I mentioned those three because they're well known and I've met them and listened to some of their explanations.
My emails were very short and clear because I know, as I clearly remember stating in the post you misconstrued, that he has THOUSANDS of students, several of which he has never even met in person, and obviously a limited amount of time he can give to each one. I wrote to Jim and he has been very helpful. I believe he also told me to consult Rinpoche. BTW, why do you think I am asking Namdrol questions and saying that I am going to follow his advice? As far as I can tell, he's definitely an older, advanced student and extremely knowledgeable, seemingly able to pull a succinct and helpful answer out of his pocket like spare change.
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote: the webcasts due to poor recording quality,
Are you sure you're not having internet problems? Or when was the last time you listened to a webcast? I think the quality is just fine most of the time.
his accent, the long pauses with a translator hurriedly repeating everything in a different language, plus all of these factors combined with technical Tibetan language terminology which he often expects his students to know while he is teaching.
Funny enough I have no problem with his accent or translators in this case, I have a little problem when I have to listen to the translator when the teacher is speaking in Tibetan only. I've found that it's much harder for me to pay attention in such cases.

I think he explains most of the Tibetan words, though many times it's hard to "hear" the Tibetan words. I think this is due to Tibetan language itself though, not the quality of the sound. So many times if I don't know the word in advance, I won't be able to understand which word it is (this actually happens on occasion in my own and English language too). Like I remember one time he said "Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo" and to me it sounded like gibberish basically. With listening to many webcasts and recordings though I think I tune into it more and more so it's easier to hear.
I have fallen asleep trying my damnedest to pay attention MANY times.
I've fallen asleep during the webcast myself several times, not good, though sometimes it can have interesting effects too hehe. I think for me it's because of my very poor sleeping habits but also as a friend told me, while receiving teachings, the same obstacles as during meditation can arise. In my experience it's also more difficult to pay attention while participating through a webcast than if you're at the teachings in person.
As far as I can tell, he's definitely an older, advanced student and extremely knowledgeable, seemingly able to pull a succinct and helpful answer out of his pocket like spare change.
Sure, I think so too. :smile:
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

bah, these posts are off topic and useless. sorry to have caused it.

Return to “Dzogchen”