Question re: Asanga and the Bodhisattvabhumi

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sunyatavadin

Question re: Asanga and the Bodhisattvabhumi

Post by Sunyatavadin »

Hi all,

I've been trying for a while to find information on Asanga's Bodhisattvabhumi. Unfortunately, both my Sanskrit and Tibetan are not so good. I can't even figure out how long it is or whether it's the same as the "Bodhisattvabhummi" contained within the "Yogacarabhumi." There seems to be no English translation except for one chapter (Tattvartha) translated by Janice Dean Willis. Are there any Tibetan-language versions of the Tengyur online in which I might find the entire text, albeit in Tibetan?

Thanks in advance.
Malcolm

Re: Question re: Asanga and the Bodhisattvabhumi

Post by Malcolm »

Sunyatavadin wrote:Hi all,

I've been trying for a while to find information on Asanga's Bodhisattvabhumi. Unfortunately, both my Sanskrit and Tibetan are not so good. I can't even figure out how long it is or whether it's the same as the "Bodhisattvabhummi" contained within the "Yogacarabhumi." There seems to be no English translation except for one chapter (Tattvartha) translated by Janice Dean Willis. Are there any Tibetan-language versions of the Tengyur online in which I might find the entire text, albeit in Tibetan?

Thanks in advance.

The Bodhisattvabhumi is a section of the Yogacharabhumi.

It may be found online here:

http://www.aciparchive.org/ace/#lyt(vol ... itle(2972)

Enjoy
Sunyatavadin

Post by Sunyatavadin »

Many thanks!
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Sunyatavadin wrote:Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Hi Sunyatavadi,

As Namdrol-la has said, the Bodhisattvabhumi is just the 15th bhumi of the Yogacarabhumi sastra.
Apart from Willis' translation of the Tattvarthapatala, there is also a translation of the Paramartha-gatha from the Cintamayibhumi by Alex Wayman.
A classmate of mine will be putting out another full translation of the Tattvarthapatala in a couple of years, much improved on Willis'. (We did a couple of years of classes on the Sanskrit, together with the Tibetan and Chinese.)

A great site can be found here: http://ybh.chibs.edu.tw/ui.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This includes the Sanskrit, Chinese and Tibetan for whatever portions of the text.
If you go down to Bo-SW 15, then that's the Sanskrit (Wogihara's edition), with the Chinese headings and supplementary Tibetan for the parts missing from the Sanskrit.
If you go down to D4037 15, that's the Tibetan text.
You can open a couple of the texts simultaneously, which is excellent for comparative work. It's also all hyper-linked, too.

Hope this is useful for you.

~~ Huifeng
Sunyatavadin

Post by Sunyatavadin »

Thanks to you both. Very cool forum, very knowledgeable folks.
sherabzangpo

Post by sherabzangpo »

Mark Tatz also translated the 'Ethics' chapter of the Bodhisattvabhumi. I'm not sure where you can find it, but I had to read it for my MA recently. His translation is very good, especially considering it was 1986 or something.

The entire Bodhisattvabhumi has now been translated into English by Art Engle and is scheduled to be released in March 2016, here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.in/Bodhisattva-Path-U ... 1559394293

I also translated some sections of the Yogacarabhumi for someone's PhD thesis recently. I plan on publishing them on my website (buddha-nature.com) soon, but I don't know when or where the PhD thesis will be available.

- Erick
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

sherabzangpo wrote:The entire Bodhisattvabhumi has now been translated into English by Art Engle and is scheduled to be released in March 2016, here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.in/Bodhisattva-Path-U ... 1559394293
Preview: http://en.calameo.com/read/0000392577cedf1edf107
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
full.autumn.moon

Post by full.autumn.moon »

Art Engle on the Bodhisattvabhumi.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”