When did meditation become more than just meditation?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

When did meditation become more than just meditation?

Postby Epistemes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Ānāpānasati, Vipassanā, Satipatthana, Jhana.

Whatever happened to sitting, breathing, focusing not to much on one's breath but never forgetting the breath nor the room, allowing the thoughts to arise then dissipate?
Cantankerous Buddha
Epistemes

Re: When did meditation become more than just meditation?

Postby wayland » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Good question. I don't have an answer but perhaps some came to regard this form of meditation as too easy or simplistic?
wayland

Postby Indrajala » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Epistemes wrote:Ānāpānasati, Vipassanā, Satipatthana, Jhana.

Whatever happened to sitting, breathing, focusing not to much on one's breath but never forgetting the breath nor the room, allowing the thoughts to arise then dissipate?

There is a difference between calm abiding and the insight it enables through mental fitness. The said mental fitness can be classified and was classified by the Buddha with the four jhānas. One does not understand the impermanent nature of things entirely without knowing the peaks of existence in the formless realms, which requires jhāna.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Nosta » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:23 am

I never understood exactly what are these jhana states of meditation. They are something like mystic but i dont care because until i dominate Vipassana (the typical "breath and give attention to that"), i cant "jump" to more higher levels.
Nosta

Postby sangyey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:43 pm

From my understanding satipattana is considered a vipashyana practice. Is this a correct umderstanding?
sangyey

Postby Chaz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Huseng wrote:
Epistemes wrote:Ānāpānasati, Vipassanā, Satipatthana, Jhana.

There is a difference between calm abiding and the insight it enables through mental fitness. The said mental fitness can be classified and was classified by the Buddha with the four jhānas. One does not understand the impermanent nature of things entirely without knowing the peaks of existence in the formless realms, which requires jhāna.

Dude!

If you could, please clarify - are referring to the form or formless jhanas?

Also have a good retreat.

May all beings benefit.
Chaz

Return to Exploring Buddhism