the methodology of Sakya

mzaur

the methodology of Sakya

Post by mzaur »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the Sakya tradition as I just found that there's a center near me run by Lama Pema Wangdak, who I might be interested in meeting.

I've been studying Vajrayana for several years and took refuge 2 years ago. Since then I've tried practicing Dzogchen through Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, but I feel I really want a live connection with a teacher, so I am investing the centers around me. So far, I really like Mahamudra because it seems very similar to the view of Dzogchen but a more gradual approach, which makes me interested in Kagyu. I can't find much info about Sakya or Lamdre and its similarities/differences with Mahamudra/Dzogchen. Could someone familiar with both Mahamudra and the Sakya tradition share with me the differences? is Sakya a strictly tantric lineage with no 'direct' or 'essence' teachings?

Michael
Malcolm

Re: the methodology of Sakya

Post by Malcolm »

Sakya is all about the two stages.

mzaur wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to learn more about the Sakya tradition as I just found that there's a center near me run by Lama Pema Wangdak, who I might be interested in meeting.

I've been studying Vajrayana for several years and took refuge 2 years ago. Since then I've tried practicing Dzogchen through Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, but I feel I really want a live connection with a teacher, so I am investing the centers around me. So far, I really like Mahamudra because it seems very similar to the view of Dzogchen but a more gradual approach, which makes me interested in Kagyu. I can't find much info about Sakya or Lamdre and its similarities/differences with Mahamudra/Dzogchen. Could someone familiar with both Mahamudra and the Sakya tradition share with me the differences? is Sakya a strictly tantric lineage with no 'direct' or 'essence' teachings?

Michael
mzaur

Post by mzaur »

Are you referring to generation stage and completion stage?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mzaur wrote:Are you referring to generation stage and completion stage?

Yup.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

mzaur wrote:Hello,

I've been studying Vajrayana for several years and took refuge 2 years ago. Since then I've tried practicing Dzogchen through Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, but I feel I really want a live connection with a teacher, so I am investing the centers around me.
If you want a connection with a live teacher, Lama Pema is great.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
mzaur

Post by mzaur »

Thank you. Is there ngondro in Sakya? How does Sakya differ from the other Sarma lineages?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mzaur wrote:Thank you. Is there ngondro in Sakya? How does Sakya differ from the other Sarma lineages?

Yes, there is ngondro.

The teaching lineage from India is unique. Lamdre is based mainly on the teachings of the Hevajra Tantra and Virupa.

N
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

glorious Sakya school is a special school, not only it has special Lamdre teaching, also it collected huge amount of Serma empowerment/teaching in its unbroken lineage, such as Gyude Kundu and Drubtab Kundu (thank to khyentse and lode wangpo).

A good thing for westerners is that the lineage holder(s) come to the west quite frequently (one of them actually live in the US), and they do speak english. So you have very reasonable chance to receive empowerment and teaching from the top lama of this school, and then study more from well-trained lama near where you live.

Return to “Sakya”