Economics..yes,,they are this dim

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Re: Economics..yes,,they are this dim

Postby kirtu » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:57 am

Huseng wrote:
kirtu wrote:Are people picking on your slacker friends or what? BTW - slacker goes back pretty far and at least three sub-generational cohorts have adopted the term to refer to their fellow cohort members ....

Kirt

This is just my general experience and what my friends have lamented. My friends are a diverse bunch, too. Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Australians, Africans, Asians... but in this case I'm referring primarily to my friends from western countries, particularly the USA, Canada and western European nations. Judging from their experiences, too, the lot of them continue to live at home (at least not when studying abroad, in which case they're living in cheap dorms). Securing decent employment for a lot of university grads is becoming a big problem. For Canadians and American youth with massive student loans it means a lifetime of debt or just defaulting. The whole promise before was get educated and get a good job, but it doesn't work like that anymore.

Well Western Europeans don't count much because social democracy has typically meant long school years with marginal employment until about 30.

Canadians and Americans need to start looking a studying in less expensive places. One can study in Austria for example for some 900 Euro/semester. Students from some Asian and African countries can study there for free if they can get in. The world is flatter if not quite flat.

Canadians and Americans can also study in Canada and the US for a lot less than they think in many cases although they have to take the hit on school name recognition. Of course there should be no such thing as student loans at least not in their present form anyway.

We are in the middle of a real Second Great Depression that is likely to last in some form for another eight years (so two business cycles or a longer single cycle). People will have to create their own jobs. This is for real. People will have to get creative and get going because lassie-faire based societies are not going to help each other. In the US think a creeping Detroitism everywhere. Since Canada is not as lassie-faire even under Harper I'm not sure how it will react. Who's the current or next Crawford Gordon to create new approaches or new industries in order to employ people to actually do good in the world?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Economics..yes,,they are this dim

Postby kirtu » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:00 am

Huseng wrote:It would be nice if the wealth of a nation actually belonged to its citizens.

Meaning that a portion of the money gained from extracting natural resources would be given to the citizens directly as cash. Some might argue that people would just go waste it on foolishness, but I think most adults would use it responsibility (pay off their debts, fund an education, etc...).

Unfortunately the wealth of most nations is not owned by the people either in name or in practice.

Like done in Norway, I think Greenland and to a lesser extent Alaska?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Previous

Return to News & Current Events