An independent Mahamudra forum?

mindyourmind

An independent Mahamudra forum?

Post by mindyourmind »

I'm sure that this has been raised (or at least considered) by Those In Power, but is there any good reason why we cannot have a separate Mahamudra forum, along the lines of the Dzogchen one?

There are several Kagyupas here, and it seems as if a lot (most?) of them are practicing Mahamudra.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: An independent Mahamudra forum?

Post by Grigoris »

So why not use the Kagyu forum for something other than arguing who is the best Kamarpa??? :stirthepot:
But seriously, we can just use the Kagyu forum.
:namaste:
PS I'm a Kagyupa
PPS Who practices Mahamudra
PPPS And dabbles in Dzogchen (which really, for me, has so much in common with Mahamudra, except for much of the terminology and lineage of course, that I fail to see the distinction)
PPPPS And cares not even the slightest which Kamarpa anybody "follows".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
daelm

Post by daelm »

mindyourmind wrote:I'm sure that this has been raised (or at least considered) by Those In Power, but is there any good reason why we cannot have a separate Mahamudra forum, along the lines of the Dzogchen one?

There are several Kagyupas here, and it seems as if a lot (most?) of them are practicing Mahamudra.

andre, have you dropped this in the suggestion box? not sure it will be readily seen here.

suggestions: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

d
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

daelm wrote:
mindyourmind wrote:I'm sure that this has been raised (or at least considered) by Those In Power, but is there any good reason why we cannot have a separate Mahamudra forum, along the lines of the Dzogchen one?

andre, have you dropped this in the suggestion box? not sure it will be readily seen here.

suggestions: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

d
I have a plan ..... :spy:

I also just want to see first if the idea has any support from the Kagyu side. If so, then that strengthens the request, if not then I do not need to bother Their Emminences.

Namkhai Norbu
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

As Greg said, the Kagyu section could be used for discussion on Mahamudra. It is unfortunate that there is rarely any discussion here on it, especially as I'm quite fond of this wonderful teaching. But if there are special reasons why a separate Mahamudra forum would be worth a try I have no objections against it.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Astus wrote:As Greg said, the Kagyu section could be used for discussion on Mahamudra. It is unfortunate that there is rarely any discussion here on it, especially as I'm quite fond of this wonderful teaching. But if there are special reasons why a separate Mahamudra forum would be worth a try I have no objections against it.
Maybe a specialized thread would encourage more discussion on that?

If Dzogchen was seen as a part of say Nyingma, we would no doubt see a lot less discussions on it.

Namkhai Norbu
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

There it is. Use it well.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Astus wrote:There it is. Use it well.
Well, as far as I am concerned, thank you very much, Astus.

I hope that we will use the forum to learn more and to exchange knowledge on this path.

Namkhai Norbu
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

mindyourmind wrote:
daelm wrote:

d
I have a plan ..... :spy:

I also just want to see first if the idea has any support from the Kagyu side. If so, then that strengthens the request, if not then I do not need to bother Their Emminences.

I'm a Kagyupa, but I don't practice Mahamudra ...... yet. I have only just started my Ngondro practice and I most likely won't be allowed to begin mahamudra until I complete that practice to my Guru's satisfaction.

To be honest, Mahamudra is about as far from my mind as such things get.

I'm not opposed to a Mahamudra forum - there's simply not much I can do in the way of contribution/participation.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Some of us were given Mahamudra pointing out instructions before we even took refuge let alone started ngondro!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

gregkavarnos wrote:Some of us were given Mahamudra pointing out instructions before we even took refuge let alone started ngondro!
So much for karma.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

gregkavarnos wrote:Some of us were given Mahamudra pointing out instructions before we even took refuge let alone started ngondro!

Well regardless of that Greg, it won't be happening for this kid until Ngondro's in the mit as they say, and the Guru decides it's okay to take up Mahamudra. That day is years off - at my current rate of accumulation it'll probably be 5 years, at least, before I finish Ngondro.

I'm okay with that.

I'm also okay with the idea of a Mahamudra forum here. There's a Dzogchen forum, so why no Mahamudra board? I also hope that it will be a real benefit to those who will use it and to all sentient beings.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Astus wrote:
So much for karma.
What do you mean?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Pero wrote:
Astus wrote:
So much for karma.
What do you mean?
That it depends on karma what one meets, hears, studies and understands.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Return to “Kagyu”