Nepal Arrests Dalai Lama's Envoy

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Nepal Arrests Dalai Lama's Envoy

Postby Mr. G » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Authorities in Nepal arrested on Friday the Dalai Lama's new representative in the Himalayan territory after he held a news conference calling for protection of Tibetan refugee rights, sources said.

The arrest of Thinley Lama, volunteer coordinator of the Tibetan Refugee Welfare Office, came amid persistent pressure from Beijing urging the Nepalese government to stop “anti-China activities” by Tibetan refugees.

He was taken away and interrogated by police after he held a press conference asking the Nepal government to ensure the rights of the country’s 20,000 Tibetan refugees under Nepal’s new constitution.

The press conference, held at a Kathmandu hotel, was Thinley Lama’s first since his June appointment.

Read More Here...
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: Nepal Arrests Dalai Lama's Envoy

Postby Indrajala » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:16 pm

There is good reason why the cement walls surrounding the Chinese embassy are so tall in Kathmandu, and why there are riot police constantly deployed around Boudhanath Stupa.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby mudra » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 am

The Nepalese government's excuse for the arrest was that they were interrogating him about the case of fake Tibetan refugee status given to two people who were trying to leave Nepal with fake Nepalese passports plus refugee papers etc.

http://www.tibetcustom.com/article.php/20110805221304101

Possibly trumped up, but they released him after "questioning". Since the Maoists joined the government Nepal has beenlooking for all kinds of excuses to crack down on Tibetan's there. It is a craven attitude, cynical at best.
Last edited by mudra on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudra

Postby zerwe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:13 am

Although, I do not know very much about the changing political climate in Nepal I feel that this could be a sign of
increasingly difficult times to come for practitioners of Dharma in Nepal.

:crying:

Ngawang Thapkhe
zerwe

Return to News & Current Events