Printing a Gohonzon

ananda

Printing a Gohonzon

Post by ananda »

I am considering printing out a gohonzon because it could help me focus during my daily chanting. Is this permissible ?
I have been sticking to Nichiren's teaching in the gosho that the gohonzon is inside of you and that when we chant that it is not to something outside of ourselves. If that is the case then why is the gohonzon used at all ?
I think it was Soka Gakkai that said that when you chant you are chanting to your life itself (I'm not a member of SGI)

I also have an additional question
What are the ritual items that are used during gongyo and what do you do with those items ?
Last edited by ananda on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Printing a Gohonzon

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I always took that to mean that there is no difference between inside/outside.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
ananda

Post by ananda »

Hi :smile:
The Daishonin wrote in his letter titled 'The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon' :

"Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."
This makes me wonder why then a gohonzon inscribed on paper would be used
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

The printed Gohonzon is a representation. It is a kind of mandara (mandala). The statement means to seek the essence, inseparable from the Gohonzon within yourself, and this transcends any perceived distinction between inside yourself and outside yourself.
EMPTIFUL.
ananda

Post by ananda »

I see thank you !
But the question still remains if printing the gohonzon off of the internet for personal practice is permissible instead of receiving one from an organization. That and my question about gongyo.
In other words does a gohonzon have to be received from organizations like Nichiren Shu and Soka Gakkai in order for it to be valid for practice or can one just print out a gohonzon from the internet without receiving one from an organization or going through any rituals to bless it ?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I think you should try printing one off yourself and then see what happens.
EMPTIFUL.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

ananda wrote:I see thank you !
But the question still remains if printing the gohonzon off of the internet for personal practice is permissible instead of receiving one from an organization. That and my question about gongyo.
In other words does a gohonzon have to be received from organizations like Nichiren Shu and Soka Gakkai in order for it to be valid for practice or can one just print out a gohonzon from the internet without receiving one from an organization or going through any rituals to bless it ?
Traditional Nichiren Buddhists believe you should not use a printed Gohonzon, but chant in front of an image or statue of Shakyamuni Buddha until you are sure you will stick with the practice. At that stage you should look into the various Nichiren sects and acquire a Gohonzon through your chosen lineage. However, independent Nichiren Buddhists have printed theirs out.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

If you would have been born in a family that belongs to traditional Nichiren Buddhism (that is Nichirenshu), you would use the gohonzon a priest presented to one your ancestors, not one you got by yourself. This thing about recieving a gohonzon after some time of dedicated practice is only needed in groups, which depend on conversion of new members (like Nichiren Shoshu or Soka Gakkai for example) and which have a strong sense of community (even to the point of exclusion of non-members as is happens in both those organisations).
In traditional Nichiren Buddhism you would probably never need to prove, that you are "worthy" of recieving your gohonzon. The regular member of a Nichirenshu temple would have a gohonzon at home, which he inherited from his parents and would even do the daily practice at home. The only community-related practice would be the new year celebrations and the death of family members. I don't see, why people in the west have to be a part of a community and are told not to print out a gohonzon. You can develop a regular and authentic practice with a printed gohonzon, which is just as good as the daily practice of traditional Nichiren Buddhists, who got their gohonzon from their parents. Of course there would probably haven been an eye-opening ceremony before a traditional Buddhist would use a printed gohonzon, but as there are not many qualified persons in the west, who could do that, I think one can omit this ceremony.
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

Nichiren Daishonin states in the Gosho : "Unless one who has grasped the essence of the Lotus Sutra conducts
the eye-opening ceremony for a wooden or painted image, it will be as if a
masterless house were to be occupied by a thief or as if, upon a person's
death, a demon were to enter his body. "
rory

Post by rory »

I belong to a traditional sect, Kempon Hokke (14th cent) , when I started to practice, a dharma friend printed out a gohonzon for me, and I used this as an altar, along with a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha that I had. When I decided to join KHS I sent the gohonzon for the eye-opening ceremony (kaigen).

The gohonzon is a mandala, no two doubts about it, representing the 10 worlds. You don't have to use a Mandala, you can use statues representing the Buddha and the 4 bodhisattvas or you can use a Lotus Sutra. Nichiren described it in an authentic letter. In fact he used a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha as his personal honzon. Whatever you use, you must have kaigen, as Nichiren Daishonin states.

gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
markp

Post by markp »

My organization, the Independent Organization of Nichiren Lotus Dharma Buddhism (ION), will be doing woodblock printing of the Nichiren original Gohonzon #52 very soon. We got the woodblock made for free on a laser engraver because my daughters boyfriend just happens to operate one for a University, and I have some blank scrolls coming in a few days.

However, we don't feel that you need to eye open a Gohonzon with the Lotus Sutra because it is the Lotus Sutra. Just chanting the title of the Lotus Sutra to it eye opens it, and the Daimoku is the heart of the LS, so anyone who chants is a person that understands the heart of the Lotus Sutra.
The observer and that which is observed are everywhere produced by the matrix of causality and conditions. In all that is produced by causality and conditions, there is emptiness of self.
The Great Calm-Observation, Volume 5, Part 3, Page 1
rory

Post by rory »

This is just the thread I need, as I'd like to print the 5MB bitmap file of the Nittatsu Gohonzon (downloaded from Ncoffeehouse). Now I am clueless, there is a professional copyshop near me or Fedex has big copiers so would that be better? Also physically how big would it be/should be? Does anyone know of a nice online framing shop.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Tatsuo wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 am If you would have been born in a family that belongs to traditional Nichiren Buddhism (that is Nichirenshu), you would use the gohonzon a priest presented to one your ancestors, not one you got by yourself. This thing about recieving a gohonzon after some time of dedicated practice is only needed in groups, which depend on conversion of new members (like Nichiren Shoshu or Soka Gakkai for example) and which have a strong sense of community (even to the point of exclusion of non-members as is happens in both those organisations).
In traditional Nichiren Buddhism you would probably never need to prove, that you are "worthy" of recieving your gohonzon. The regular member of a Nichirenshu temple would have a gohonzon at home, which he inherited from his parents and would even do the daily practice at home. The only community-related practice would be the new year celebrations and the death of family members. I don't see, why people in the west have to be a part of a community and are told not to print out a gohonzon. You can develop a regular and authentic practice with a printed gohonzon, which is just as good as the daily practice of traditional Nichiren Buddhists, who got their gohonzon from their parents. Of course there would probably haven been an eye-opening ceremony before a traditional Buddhist would use a printed gohonzon, but as there are not many qualified persons in the west, who could do that, I think one can omit this ceremony.
👏
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

ananda wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 pm I am considering printing out a gohonzon because it could help me focus during my daily chanting. Is this permissible ?
I have been sticking to Nichiren's teaching in the gosho that the gohonzon is inside of you and that when we chant that it is not to something outside of ourselves. If that is the case then why is the gohonzon used at all ?
I think it was Soka Gakkai that said that when you chant you are chanting to your life itself (I'm not a member of SGI)

I also have an additional question
What are the ritual items that are used during gongyo and what do you do with those items ?
It honestly depends on what tradition you follow in Nichiren Buddhism. Shoshu has a really itchy trigger for any gohonzon thats outside the priesthood. Other gohonzon "doesnt work." SGI depends on the group. Here, when I practiced they looked disappointed when I copied the gohonzon in my computer and went to the store and print it as a photo rather than on paper.

Nichiren describes the importance of the Gohonzon in the gosho. Its a mirror image of your buddha nature. Using the gohonzon is putting yourself among other buddhas, devas, bodhisattvas, and The Buddha in the Ceremony in the Air. So when you chant (reading and reciting) the Lotus/Gongyo, you are connecting with your nature by listening to The Buddha.

Shoshu and SGI feel their counterpart gohonzon is invalid. So, its a political issue not religious. Nichiren says buddha is mind and mind is buddha. Where else is the buddha other than the mind itself? The Lotus says read, write, and recite. It doesnt say not to copy. If anything, the more copies, the better.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Carlita

Post by Carlita »

Also, forgot, here are the list of altar items
http://nichiren.info/buddhism/library/N ... fering.htm

Evergreens represent the lotus and karma
Candles repesent the light of our natures
There is the bell, insence, and a glass of water.
The gohonzon always an inch above of or so than the offerings.

In The Gosho, Nichiren's disciples offered him food suchbas rice and water, as well as clothing. Offering food to the gohonzon is an idea depending on how you view Nichiren in your practice.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

MOD NOTE - as a general policy at DharmaWheel, we frown on reviving old threads like this one which has not been active for five years until today. The original posters are usually long gone and the responses will not reach them. If you are interested in discussing the topics, the best practice is to create a new thread and link to the old thread for reference, adding your new comment or question to start the discussion anew.

On the flip side, we frown on new threads to discuss subjects that have recently or are perennially discussed - for example - there is a thread called the Great Vegetarian Debate which is a depository for all discussions of this topic. The reason for this is because these topics are so overdone that the same arguments have all been made numerous times and the discussion is more or less an exercise wheel.

Its a bit of a balancing act, but a thread like this that has been dead for a long time and doesn't extend beyond the first page can be judged to be one that we would prefer remained dead.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”