the ever-changing Western view of Madhyamaka

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ronnewmexico

Re: the ever-changing Western view of Madhyamaka

Post by ronnewmexico »

N's.. point is a good valid one, I suspect some schools of Buddhism don't hold that view but consider it to be a different view than theirs....
No expert certainly am I in that area and with other schools and what they think...but I have heard rumor of that.

Perhaps others think that not so.....?
Last edited by ronnewmexico on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I've removed it, Ronnewmexico. It wasn't meant personally, though, but my apologies to you.

In general, people talk a lot about Madhyamaka but all the talk in the world won't bring one to a decisive point....though it's helpful to understand, and talk helps--to a point.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Debate and discussion in some forms of buddhism serve as a important learning tool. I believe the Galugpa has one lineage holder who they credit with refining that opinion on discussion.

So I personally consider it a valid topic for discussion.this.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

conebeckham wrote:In general, people talk a lot about Madhyamaka but all the talk in the world won't bring one to a decisive point....though it's helpful to understand, and talk helps--to a point.
Indeed. Without the integral development of appropriate ethical conduct and meditative composure and the rest of the perfections it's just talk. Apart from these components of practice it really isn't even Buddhadharma.

All the best,

Geoff
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jnana wrote:
conebeckham wrote:In general, people talk a lot about Madhyamaka but all the talk in the world won't bring one to a decisive point....though it's helpful to understand, and talk helps--to a point.
Indeed. Without the integral development of appropriate ethical conduct and meditative composure and the rest of the perfections it's just talk. Apart from these components of practice it really isn't even Buddhadharma.

All the best,

Geoff
A deterioration in discipline is allowable,
but never the view;
discipline leads to higher realms,
the view leads to the supreme stage.

-- Aryadeva.
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Namdrol wrote:A deterioration in discipline is allowable,
but never the view;

-- Aryadeva.
Śīlapāramitā may be flexible, but for the pāramitāyāna not entirely dispensable.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Jnana wrote:
Namdrol wrote:A deterioration in discipline is allowable,
but never the view;

-- Aryadeva.
Śīlapāramitā may be flexible, but for the pāramitāyāna not entirely dispensable.

..I'd be interested to know what the original word for "The view" is in the section Namdrol quoted...as I'd bet it is not merely a conceptual assertion.
??

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:

..I'd be interested to know what the original word for "The view" is in the section Namdrol quoted...as I'd bet it is not merely a conceptual assertion.
??

Dṛṣṭih -- it is means in this case the view of emptiness. The reasoning, according to the Indian commentaries, is that discipline is something one practices only for one's own benefit. The view of emptiness is cultivated for both oneself and others.

N
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

So, does Dṛṣṭih refer to a "conceptual framework" or "approximate emptiness," or does it refer to an actual, experiental sort of "resting" in your opinion, Namdrol? I hope my question is clear.....?

adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Madhyamaka is not true.
CAW!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:So, does Dṛṣṭih refer to a "conceptual framework" or "approximate emptiness," or does it refer to an actual, experiental sort of "resting" in your opinion, Namdrol? I hope my question is clear.....?
It refers to an example emptiness arrived at through analysis when you are a common person.

One you have realized emptiness on the path of seeing, by definition you cannot have a deteriation in view.

We can therefore understand here that "view" refers to analytical emptiness since that is the only view susceptible to deterioration.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:Madhyamaka is not true.

Madyamala has no position, true and false do not apply.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Namdrol wrote:

Is that true?
CAW!
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

adinatha wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Is that true?
I think so. From what I've been taught it seems the point of Madhyamaka is to point out the inconsistency of holding any conditioned view.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Is that true?
In order make the evaluation "Madhyamaka is "true" or "not true", you would have to assess what a Madhyamaka position might be. If you cannot assess such a position, claiming either truth or falsity with regard to Madhyamaka is erroneous.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Is that true?
In order make the evaluation "Madhyamaka is "true" or "not true", you would have to assess what a Madhyamaka position might be. If you cannot assess such a position, claiming either truth or falsity with regard to Madhyamaka is erroneous.
Is that right?
CAW!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:
Is that right?
Is that wrong?
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote:
Is that right?
Is that wrong?
I defer to you.
CAW!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote:
Is that right?
Is that wrong?
I defer to you.

The great 11th Nyingma scholar Rongzom points out that only Madhyamaka accepts that its critical methodology "harms itself", meaning that Madhyamaka uses non-affirming negations to reject the positions of opponents, but does not resort to affirming negations to support a position of its own. Since Madhyamaka, as Buddhapalita states "does not propose the non-existence of existents, but instead rejects claims for the existence of existents", there is no true Madhyamaka position since there is no existent found about which a Madhyamaka position could be formulated; likewise there is no false Madhyamaka position since there is no existent found about which a Madhyamaka position could be rejected.

N
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

So Madhyamaka is not really a view, but a destructive tactic when responding to others' opinions? Then taking evasive maneuvers when the opponent takes aim? I wonder about why one would get involved?
CAW!

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”