Question on Bowing....

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Paliut

Question on Bowing....

Post by Paliut »

I have been on these forums for a bit reading and posting some stuff, i hope someone remembers me if not all is ok :twothumbsup:

Anyway i have been going to many temples, and have noticed bowing. I know what bowing is and what it signifies, I mean when a person offers something up to the Buddha or Bodhisattvas like incense they hold the incense above their head and bow. Is this done for a purpose? Or have a lot of people just done it this way for a long time?

Also when they bow and have the incense in their hand what do they say? I see them murmur somethings i'd like to know what it could possibly be...

Personally when i bow or kneel with incense in front of the a statue, i simply speak to myself saying that ' i bow to the Buddha Nature in me, The teachings, and the Sangha the people who educate me on the dharma.' In the end i guess i tell myself i will do my best to follow the precepts and what not. I don't know if this is 'correct' or not but im looking for insight. Thanks!

:thanks:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: Question on Bowing....

Post by Adamantine »

In my lineage after taking refuge in the Buddha Dharma and Sangha in the formal way then one should prostrate three times to the three jewels in the morning (consecutively at one time) and then again in the evening while you say "Namo Buddhaya, Namo Dharmaya, Namo Sanghaya" which is roughly intoning the refuge. This is more than a bow, this is touching ones hands, knees and forehead to the ground at the least (there's also full prostrations which can become a type of physical yoga if done in large quantities). At the time of offering incense or anything else there are specific offering prayers one may say, this differs between traditions. In general, when bowing or prostrating then you pretty much nailed it: you are humbling yourself, surrendering your pride to the vastness of the awakened nature, both the Buddha nature that dwells within you and the fully realized nature of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas as well as their words of truth(dharma) that help lead suffering beings to this awakening and all those firmly rooted on the path whose lead you can follow(sangha).
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Paliut

Re: Question on Bowing....

Post by Paliut »

Adamantine wrote:In my lineage after taking refuge in the Buddha Dharma and Sangha in the formal way then one should prostrate three times to the three jewels in the morning (consecutively at one time) and then again in the evening while you say "Namo Buddhaya, Namo Dharmaya, Namo Sanghaya" which is roughly intoning the refuge. This is more than a bow, this is touching ones hands, knees and forehead to the ground at the least (there's also full prostrations which can become a type of physical yoga if done in large quantities). At the time of offering incense or anything else there are specific offering prayers one may say, this differs between traditions. In general, when bowing or prostrating then you pretty much nailed it: you are humbling yourself, surrendering your pride to the vastness of the awakened nature, both the Buddha nature that dwells within you and the fully realized nature of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas as well as their words of truth(dharma) that help lead suffering beings to this awakening and all those firmly rooted on the path whose lead you can follow(sangha).
How do i take refuge in the Three Jewels is there an official thing or not? Just curious.

Also of what lineage are you of? If i am allowed to ask.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”