I think, therefore I am

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Silent Forest

I think, therefore I am

Post by Silent Forest »

Cogito ergo sum
I think, therefore I am

Or maybe not quite?
ronnewmexico

Re: I think, therefore I am

Post by ronnewmexico »

I'd opt for not quite..... Thought itself though solely not considered caused can not without cause exist. Try thinking a thought which has not a preceeding thought nor vision nor memory nor sense before it....cannot happen. One can't do it. The perametes of though prevent it.

The connotation of I then existing....has it backassward.
I think not I am not, is more like it. Thought found not singularly I doing the thinking, but always partial result of cause.
Suchly I is found partial result of cause.

Eternalistically framed thinking that is, absolutists thinking on things. One object one subject. Unexamined sure..logical sense. Examined....no not at all.
One process one object is unnaturally assumed one. I find oxygen everywhere so oxygen is eternal...that kind of thing, a fault in logic by means.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Silent Forest wrote:Cogito ergo sum
I think, therefore I am

Or maybe not quite?

How about "I think, therefore I think I am.".
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

How about, "There are thoughts, therefore, somehow, a thinker seems to exist?"
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Silent Forest

Post by Silent Forest »

Chaz wrote:How about "I think, therefore I think I am.".
:twothumbsup:
ronnewmexico wrote:I think not I am not, is more like it.
Also Intentional (meditative) not-thinking or only unintentional?
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Thoughts..thoughts can be word thoughts of considered consciously know things. Thoughts also can be of the light shape and form variety with no words to speak of.The latter being considered subconscious. But both are thoughts. No thought...well then which is thought and which is not? Is the second no thought...I would say not. The first certainly is. When a word thought ceases before another begins is there a empty space or is it filled by a perceptable something. I opt for the something which I call thought as well.

REally the I think therefore I am to my opinion does not speak to the qualification of what type of thought but mainly that one produces something independently(thought thinking) and that proves the second, I am.

REally we produce thought but the production is not something from nothings but a combination of very many causes.
So the second drawing on the first is drawn since the first is wrong or improperly stated also wrong.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

conebeckham wrote:How about, "There are thoughts, therefore, somehow, a thinker seems to exist?"
Hmmmmmmm .......

An interesting statement, but would it perhaps be more appropriate to say "...... a thinker appears to exist."?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

^works for me!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

conebeckham wrote:How about, "There are thoughts, therefore, somehow, a thinker seems to exist?"
<blank> , therefore thoughts, therefore thinker, therefore I
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It is precisely because I think,
that I change,
that I cannot remain I.

(original author unknown)

I think, therefore I am not what I think I am.

(http://paulgerhards.com/blog_thisisthat ... hink-i-am/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

I think I think therefore I think I am
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Well, I think therefore I am is correct...because we are deluded now. Actually, just don't think about yourself think about others (what can you do to benefit others). Yes, I think therefore I am is still correct.

If you don't think, then who is doing the thinking? Just that don't think about yourself too much because this is fault. Like Hui Neng said true treaders of the path don't find faults in others. But they find faults in their thinking and what they do and correct them. So the fault of us is we think about ourselves too much when we should be thinking about what we can to benefit others. Examples of such is dedicating merits, cultivating 10 virtuous acts, etc.
Last edited by LastLegend on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s eye blinking.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

I think I think therefore I think "I think therefore I am" is what I think

:toilet:
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I sink, therefore I swam.

I link, therefore I spam.

I oink, therefore I ham.

(http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ad#p112994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

<blank> , therefore thoughts, therefore thinker, therefore I
I, therefore thinker, therefore thoughts, therefore <blank>
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I think about myself, therefore I suffer
It’s eye blinking.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

How about where's the thought?
CAW!
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

adinatha wrote:How about where's the thought?
Isn't it by the beef?
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
ram peswani

Post by ram peswani »

Silent Forest wrote:Cogito ergo sum
I think, therefore I am

Or maybe not quite?
Is there some one here who says, believes and knows " You think, therefore I am"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ram peswani wrote:Is there some one here who says, believes and knows " You think, therefore I am"
If there is no "I" then there is no "you".
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma Stories”