Buddha captured under Bodhi Tree?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norden

Buddha captured under Bodhi Tree?

Post by Norden »

Hello,

Has anyone seen a picture of Buddha was taken accidentally by someone at Bodhgaya? What is your thoughts? Thanks!

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3372/697736930l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ananda

Re: Buddha captured under Bodhi Tree?

Post by ananda »

I think its a very nice looking image...I wish there was a larger version of it
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

He's lookin' pretty good for a 2500 year old dude. Do you reckon it might have something to do with the lens filter or is it some kind of heavy duty anti-wrinkle cream he's been using over the millenia?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

gregkavarnos wrote:He's lookin' pretty good for a 2500 year old dude. Do you reckon it might have something to do with the lens filter or is it some kind of heavy duty anti-wrinkle cream he's been using over the millenia?
Kind of looks like the lead singer of The Cure. Too much mascara.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

My dear young JD, as an ex-goth myself (80's Gothic he admits, betraying his age) I have to inform you that there is no such thing as "too much mascara".

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Norden

Post by Norden »

gregkavarnos wrote:He's lookin' pretty good for a 2500 year old dude. Do you reckon it might have something to do with the lens filter or is it some kind of heavy duty anti-wrinkle cream he's been using over the millenia?
It is said it was captured accidentally in 1980, I've got one in my room. Don't know much about lens filter but I don't think if you take a picture of Bodhi Tree will come out like this :)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Norden wrote:It is said it was captured accidentally in 1980...
Well that explains the mascara then, though I imagine Buddha would have been a New Romantic rather than a Goth.

Norden, I was wondering, are you interested in buying some relics of the Buddha that I have? You may recall the following passage from the Maha-Saccaka Sutta: The Longer Discourse to Saccaka
...Simply from my eating so little, if I tried to ease my body by rubbing my limbs with my hands, the hair — rotted at its roots — fell from my body as I rubbed, simply from eating so little.
Well it seems that when the hairs fell a hard working ant that was nearby picked up the hairs and took them to its nest. After an inordinate number of reincarnations the ant was reborn in human form about 40 years ago. The person (whose name I will withold for fear that everybody will want a piece of the action) took part in a past life regression session where he remembered where the hairs were hidden and went there and dug them up.

He sold some to me and I can now sell them to you for the bargain basement price of $1,000,000 (cash of course). Now the guy that sold them to me said they were chest hairs but they look kindda too short and curly to be chest hairs, anyway, I'm not gonna split hairs over the issue!

Norden

Post by Norden »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Well that explains the mascara then, though I imagine Buddha would have been a New Romantic rather than a Goth.

Norden, I was wondering, are you interested in buying some relics of the Buddha that I have? You may recall the following passage from the Maha-Saccaka Sutta: The Longer Discourse to Saccaka
...Simply from my eating so little, if I tried to ease my body by rubbing my limbs with my hands, the hair — rotted at its roots — fell from my body as I rubbed, simply from eating so little.
Well it seems that when the hairs fell a hard working ant that was nearby picked up the hairs and took them to its nest. After an inordinate number of reincarnations the ant was reborn in human form about 40 years ago. The person (whose name I will withold for fear that everybody will want a piece of the action) took part in a past life regression session where he remembered where the hairs were hidden and went there and dug them up.

He sold some to me and I can now sell them to you for the bargain basement price of $1,000,000 (cash of course). Now the guy that sold them to me said they were chest hairs but they look kindda too short and curly to be chest hairs, anyway, I'm not gonna split hairs over the issue!
I have books, pictures and Buddhists stuff, most of them are donated to the Buddhist Centre for Buddhists. Relics was given by a monk from India. Gregkavarnos, are you busy this weekend? I'm preparing my dinner soon! Come and have some!
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Norden wrote:
It is said it was captured accidentally in 1980, I've got one in my room. Don't know much about lens filter but I don't think if you take a picture of Bodhi Tree will come out like this :)
I took various photos of the Bodhi Tree and never got anything funny appearing. :?
platypus

Post by platypus »

Psst the Buddha's head was shaved it says so in the pali canon.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

How come he has one elongated ear and one regular one? Was he only half enlightened at the time?
plwk

Post by plwk »

I can't see the image from my end...is it anything like in this thread on the sister site?
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

gregkavarnos wrote:

:rolling:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”