Repaying Parents Kindness Mantra

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Annicca

Repaying Parents Kindness Mantra

Post by Annicca »

Hello!

Does anybody know the Sanskrit / Pali version of the mantra from the Ullambana Sutra ? The Repaying parents' kindness mantra which is :

南無密利多多婆曳娑訶 (in Chinese)
(Na mwo mi li dwo dwo pe ye swo he)

But does anyone know the same mantra in Sanskrit or Pali?

Tks.

:namaste:
Joined in the Dharma!
Unidos en el Dharma!
vinodh

Re: Repaying Parents Kindness Mantra

Post by vinodh »

南無密利多多婆曳娑訶 (in Chinese)
(Na mwo mi li dwo dwo pe ye swo he)
That wouldbe :

Namo _______________ Svaahaa :P

Not sure, what mi li dwo dwo pe ye back-transliterates to Sanskrit though :thinking:

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
Annicca

Post by Annicca »

Oh, thank you very much!
I am still trying to find a clue for this.
I am helping a friend of mine to translate this sutra and mantra into Spanish. So if you have any news pls let me know.
:anjali:
Joined in the Dharma!
Unidos en el Dharma!
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Ah, perfect timing for me to come across this thread! In three days (31 August 2012) would be the 15th day of the 7th lunar month - the day of practice as taught in the Ullambana Sutra.

According to a blogpost (http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_608185ad0102dshw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) by this Buddhist whom I understand to be very knowledgeable in Buddhism, the text string "mi li dwo dwo pe ye" in Sanskrit should be "amṛtod-bhave".

You can find "amṛtod-bhave" in the mantra commonly known to Chinese Buddhists as 往生咒:
Namo amitābhāya tathāgatāya. Tadyathā, om, amṛtod-bhave, amṛta siddhaṃ bhave, amṛta vi-krānte, amṛta vi-krānta, gamini gagana, kīrti-kare svāhā.
...from:
Taisho Tripitaka Indian Compilation (T01-T32)
T12 Jewel Accumulation Lower Division
368. Eliminating All Fundamental Karmic Obstructions and Becoming Born in the Pureland Spiritual Mantra

You can also find "amṛtod-bhave" in the dharani 無量壽如來根本陀羅尼:
Namo ratna-trayāya. Nama ārya amitābhāya tathāgatāya arhate samyak-saṃbuddhāya. Tadyathā, om, amṛte, amṛtod-bhave, amṛta-saṃbhave, amṛta-garbhe, amṛta-siddhe, amṛta-teje, amṛta vi-krānte, amṛta vi-krānta gamini, amṛta gagana kīrti-kare, amṛta dundubhi-svare, sarva-artha sādhane, sarva karma-kleśa kṣayaṃ-kare svāhā.
...from:
Taisho Tripitaka Indian Compilation
T19 Esoteric Teachings Division II
930. The Liturgy for Offerings in the Limitless Life Thus Come One's Contemplation Practice
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Language”