Questions on Altar...

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Paliut

Questions on Altar...

Post by Paliut »

So i have decided to create an altar. I found a nice garden Buddha statue which i decided to use for indoors...

I just need tips on what is needed also. I mean i heard you need to keep teachings of the Buddha there also...

so anyone can help me, i'll appreciate it greatly! :thanks:
mudra

Re: Questions on Altar...

Post by mudra »

It depends on traditions, but in anyway in the Tibetan tradition the most basic thing would be:

- In the center of your altar: (Shakyamuni) Buddha statue/image (representing the Body of the Buddha)
- on his right: a text of a sutra like the heart sutra which is a seminal and all encompassing text (representing the Speech of the Buddha)
- on his left some kind of a stupa (representing the Mind of the Buddha).

The altar should be somewhere quiet, clean, and not at ground level, and not where people will point their feet towards it. If in your bedroom you should be able to partition it or at least curtain it off if and when you are sexually active.
plwk

Post by plwk »

If in your bedroom you should be able to partition it or at least curtain it off if and when you are sexually active.
:lol: As I asked before on the same statement back in the now defunct E-Sangha: 'So one curtain or partition is gonna block the Buddha from 'looking'?' :tongue:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

plwk wrote:
If in your bedroom you should be able to partition it or at least curtain it off if and when you are sexually active.
:lol: As I asked before on the same statement back in the now defunct E-Sangha: 'So one curtain or partition is gonna block the Buddha from 'looking'?' :tongue:
Hehehehehe

In Pure Land, all we need is a small statue with a glass of water. But if you are cool, you don't need a statue at all for your mind is Buddha. :twothumbsup:
It’s eye blinking.
mudra

Post by mudra »

plwk wrote:
More a question of respect from our side as a method, something in our own mind. The Buddha has pretty much seen it all....
Paliut

Post by Paliut »

Another question would be alright to print out a copy of the heart sutra, since it's quite available on the internet for free, and place it on the altar? (instead of buying the book)

Thank you for the responces people. :D greatly appreciated!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Do you have papers and ink?
It’s eye blinking.
mudra

Post by mudra »

Paliut wrote:Another question would be alright to print out a copy of the heart sutra, since it's quite available on the internet for free, and place it on the altar? (instead of buying the book)

Why not? Last time I checked there was no copyright...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

mudra wrote:
Paliut wrote:Another question would be alright to print out a copy of the heart sutra, since it's quite available on the internet for free, and place it on the altar? (instead of buying the book)

The copyright may apply to the translation in question and not the root text. Copyright is generally implied and doesn't have to be posted to be in force.

That said, it would probably be best to transcribe the sutra by hand (pen and paper) anyway. I'm told there is considerable merit in this kind of activity.

I got a 8.5 x 5 inch pecha-formatted copy of the Heart Sutra from Tibetan Treasures for my shrine. $8 + shipping. http://www.tibetantreasures.com/No_Empo ... Sutra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shutoku

Post by Shutoku »

Most alters I've seen contain:

Buddha image or statue in centre
Candle on the right, flowers on the left.
incense burner front centre.

You might also have a bell, a vegetarian food item like rice, and a scripture.
Namo Amida Butsu
Paliut

Post by Paliut »

Chaz wrote:
mudra wrote:

The copyright may apply to the translation in question and not the root text. Copyright is generally implied and doesn't have to be posted to be in force.

That said, it would probably be best to transcribe the sutra by hand (pen and paper) anyway. I'm told there is considerable merit in this kind of activity.

I got a 8.5 x 5 inch pecha-formatted copy of the Heart Sutra from Tibetan Treasures for my shrine. $8 + shipping. http://www.tibetantreasures.com/No_Empo ... Sutra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lol. I may write it, ill find a suitable English Translation and copy it, i feel like it may be more meaningful than print and ink... :D
As for copyright i don't think there truly exists a sutra police... If so ill fight them off!! :jedi:

LastLegend I do have ink and paper :P
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

I set mine up 'symbolically' rather than traditionally - with a Tibetan Buddha center-forward, to represent the Buddha - The dhammapada and Shantideva's Bodhisattva's way of life texts to the right, to represent the Dharma - and photos of two specific people who have helped me Buddhistfully in this life on the left, to represent the Sangha. I also have a rather oversized bell on the Dharma/wisdom side and a dried leaf thing symbolic of the tree the Buddha sat under behind the figurine to bring out the emphasis of his enlightenment. (I also have my mala beads in front of the Buddha to represent the lack of practice that stands between me being enlightened and the Buddha.)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Paliut wrote:
Lol. I may write it, ill find a suitable English Translation and copy it, i feel like it may be more meaningful than print and ink... :D
As for copyright i don't think there truly exists a sutra police... If so ill fight them off!! :jedi:
Well, you can always do as you please. I would offer this: take only what is given.

I don't think anyone will come and take your birthday away, but placing something ill-gotten on your shrine may present obstacles to practice.

My first practice liturgy was hand-transcribed. I took an afternoon off work, went to my dharma center, sat in the shrine room and copied the liturgy by hand. I was an excellent experience, but not one I think I'll repeat any time soon. Better I think, to support translators by buying copies their translation.
Paliut

Post by Paliut »

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I agree I should support translators...

Chaz how is your altar set up? Just curious...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Paliut wrote:Thanks for the tips. Yeah I agree I should support translators...

I have my shrine set up in a manner decribed by Trungpa Rinpoche. It has the three primary representations - enlightened body (statue of Shakyamuni Buddha), enlightened speech (copy of Heart Sutra) and enlightend mind (a stupa). Along with that I maintain 8 permanent offerings (water for drinking, water for washing, ect.). I use two small butter lamps with tealight candles, a small bowl for incense and framed altar cards depicting Avalokiteshvara and Green Tara. I have a teacher's chair set up next to the altar. My practice area is on the side of the altar opposite the teacher's chair. I have a Puja table set up there and I keep a photo of my Guru and a small print of the Kagyu Refuge Tree there too.

I use a Thai-style table set for the actual altar like this one: http://www.nongnit.com/tables/wtmco/wtmco003c.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Paliut

Post by Paliut »

Chaz wrote:

I have my shrine set up in a manner decribed by Trungpa Rinpoche. It has the three primary representations - enlightened body (statue of Shakyamuni Buddha), enlightened speech (copy of Heart Sutra) and enlightend mind (a stupa). Along with that I maintain 8 permanent offerings (water for drinking, water for washing, ect.). I use two small butter lamps with tealight candles, a small bowl for incense and framed altar cards depicting Avalokiteshvara and Green Tara. I have a teacher's chair set up next to the altar. My practice area is on the side of the altar opposite the teacher's chair. I have a Puja table set up there and I keep a photo of my Guru and a small print of the Kagyu Refuge Tree there too.

I use a Thai-style table set for the actual altar like this one: http://www.nongnit.com/tables/wtmco/wtmco003c.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Sound elaborate and nice. What school of Buddhism do you partake?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Paliut wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Sound elaborate and nice. What school of Buddhism do you partake?

I study and practice in the Kagyu lineage.

I must admit that my shrine is on the complex side, or at least there's a lot on it. It wasn't always that way, but it did evolve over time.
Paliut

Post by Paliut »

As you grew so did the altar? That's pretty interesting... I hope to be the same one day...
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Paliut wrote:As you grew so did the altar? That's pretty interesting... I hope to be the same one day...
Same thing happened with mine. Almost everything on it was a gift. I started with just a couple pictures of my teacher and the Buddha put in frames.

Paliut

Post by Paliut »

Jangchup Donden wrote:
Paliut wrote:As you grew so did the altar? That's pretty interesting... I hope to be the same one day...
Same thing happened with mine. Almost everything on it was a gift. I started with just a couple pictures of my teacher and the Buddha put in frames.
I'm always very curious but what school are you part of? I find it very interesting. :thanks:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”