Becoming a Buddhist Monk; Requirements and Motives

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Becoming a Buddhist Monk; Requirements and Motives

Postby ananda » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:56 am

:namaste:
I was wondering what are ALL of the requirements that are needed in order to become a Buddhist monk and what is the ENTIRE process a person goes through to become a monk. I am desirous of joining the Buddha's sangha because:
1. I am interested in securing my own personal salvation.
2. I want to dedicate myself to following the Buddha's teachings in the fullest way possible
3. When I think on how peaceful the disciple's of the Blessed one are I want to have that peace they share with each other

Are these motives wrong ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
ananda

Re: Becoming a Buddhist Monk; Requirements and Motives

Postby LastLegend » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 am

ananda wrote::namaste:
I was wondering what are ALL of the requirements that are needed in order to become a Buddhist monk and what is the ENTIRE process a person goes through to become a monk. I am desirous of joining the Buddha's sangha because:
1. I am interested in securing my own personal salvation.
2. I want to dedicate myself to following the Buddha's teachings in the fullest way possible
3. When I think on how peaceful the disciple's of the Blessed one are I want to have that peace they share with each other

Are these motives wrong ?

So you want to exit samasara?

But are willing to commit to the discipline of mind and body?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
LastLegend

Re: Becoming a Buddhist Monk; Requirements and Motives

Postby ananda » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 am

Yes I am willing to commit to the discipline of my mind and body..it won't be easy but I will try as best as I can
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
ananda

Return to Exploring Buddhism