Milarepa: Magician, Murderer, Saint

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Milarepa: Magician, Murderer, Saint

Postby kirtu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:50 pm

The very excellent movie "Milarepa: Magician, Murderer, Saint" by Neten Chokling is available through Netflix. You can also order the movie from Snow Lion. Here is a trailer from YouTube:

Trailer
Trailer with Vietnamese Subtitles

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Milarepa: Magician, Murderer, Saint

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

kirtu wrote:The very excellent movie "Milarepa: Magician, Murderer, Saint" by Neten Chokling is available through Netflix. You can also order the movie from Snow Lion. Here is a trailer from YouTube:

Trailer
Trailer with Vietnamese Subtitles

Kirt

Hi Kirtu,

Thanks a lot. Several months ago I kept looking for this on Netflix and I couldn't find it.

Best,
Laura :)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby ronnewmexico » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Saw this movie a while back.

It is certainly a good view and one of the few of this type (story form) available for a western auidence.

The way it was told(to nitpick) left me a bit plussed. Sort of like a view of what the character does and events in his life(Millarepa) but without a whole lot of the personal. I think perhaps it would have been better portrayed if we had been prevue to Millarepa's own dialogue on his life. Perhaps there was some religious reason prohibiting this(as in who could presume Millarepa's own inner dialogue) but to my take if it had been done otherwise it would have been a better read. As in Millarapa recieting the events of his life with his own voice, as such film stories are often done. With religious rational for his life choices, why follow his mothers suggestions, why study sorcery and on and on. In his own voice.

STill essential to see and worth the time and money but left some on the screen and not in the heart to my opinion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby kirtu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 pm

LauraJ wrote:Thanks a lot. Several months ago I kept looking for this on Netflix and I couldn't find it.

Actually I was told years ago that Netflix had some Buddhist films but I didn't check them out until I found out last week that they had Milarepa and Words of My Perfect Teaching. As it turns out they have at least 10 Buddhist films (Cup, Vajra Sky [this is the third part of a Buddhist triology through Theravadin, Mahayana and Vajrayana countries]). However Words of My Perfect Teacher isn't currently available!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby ronnewmexico » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:33 pm

I personally found Words of My Perfect Teacher, very excellent. It also details a bit, the Lamas entrance into filmmaking, and a shot from his first film. Shots from Butan as well...excellent. I strongly recommend it.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Return to Media