Chosing the right master

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Chosing the right master

Postby spanda » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi

From what i understood, in Vajrayana tradition, it is important to have a fully prepared master. I remember that I read that the process of "testing" the master (to see if it is a genuine one or a fake one?) before embarking on the path could take even 12 years (!). Is this true? Can someone give me some quotes, or some tittles to read in detail about this?

Thanks
spanda

Re: Chosing the right master

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:22 pm

spanda wrote:Hi

From what i understood, in Vajrayana tradition, it is important to have a fully prepared master. I remember that I read that the process of "testing" the master (to see if it is a genuine one or a fake one?) before embarking on the path could take even 12 years (!). Is this true? Can someone give me some quotes, or some tittles to read in detail about this?

Thanks

Well, in the beginning, a safe bet is to pick a lineage head like HH Dalai Lama, HH Sakya Trizen, one of the Karmapas, etc.

Then, later, when one has more knowledge and so on, one can choose other teachers.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby justsit » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Some related information here.
justsit

Postby deff » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:00 pm

i found my root guru through a mirror divination by Lama Dawa - http://lamadawa.com/ - and am very very pleased with the connection i found. if you have faith in the process, i would really suggest it. it's difficult to 'test the guru' though unfortuantely as most lamas are very busy and it's hard to get enough time close to them to examine them to the extent described in certain texts, at least that's what i've found. best of luck in finding your teacher! :smile:
deff

Postby Chaz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 pm

spanda wrote:Hi

Thanks

I wouldn't get too worried about finding a teacher for Vajrayana just now. Namdrol's advice is sound. Heed it.

JustSit's link over to the Berzin Archives is good.

You might also consider getting a copy of "Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche at some point, but I'd even wait on that.
Chaz

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 am

See here for more info - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3402#p28033
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member