Expulsion for raped Buddhist nun ?!?

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Re: Expulsion for raped Buddhist nun ?!?

Postby tatpurusa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 pm

This demonstrates what a miserable state the Nepali Buddhist tradition is in.
I hope H.H Dalai Lama would at least comment on it.
tatpurusa

Postby kirtu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm

conebeckham wrote:Kakarbhitta is a cesspool...I wouldn't want to be a young woman there...hell, I wouldn't want to be there alone, myself, as a large white male. What was it Obi Wan said about Mos Isley Spaceport--"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany..."

What makes it a cesspool?

The nun is Tamang. Did this play a role in the assault (i.e. is there strong prejudice or violence directed against the Tamang people)? Or is it possible that being a nun played a role or being Buddhist? Or was this just an opportunistic attack on a woman?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby conebeckham » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 pm

kirtu wrote:What makes it a cesspool?

The nun is Tamang. Did this play a role in the assault (i.e. is there strong prejudice or violence directed against the Tamang people)? Or is it possible that being a nun played a role or being Buddhist? Or was this just an opportunistic attack on a woman?

I can't say if caste/tribe, or even if religion or mere gender, were the main issues. I'd guess it's a crime of opportunity, though. As for "cesspool," I'm sure there are some honest, hardworking, upright people living there and in the surrounding areas....somewhere. It's a border town, between Nepal and India....I'll just leave it at that.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby ronnewmexico » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 pm

The victim by most accounts was a passenger on a bus. The woman was offered a drink of alcohole at a rest stop, by the bus driver and his acquaintences. She declined. She did then drink a smoothie(a frosty type drink on nonalcoholic content). She then was rendered unconscious presumably by a rape drug/intoxicant placed into the smoothie at some time. Then was taken to the bus raped beaten and all the rest.

The bus driver and four other acquaintences some juvenials are those arrested. A assumedly maoist/social movement grooup Sanghwa Limbauwan Raiya Pariushad, claims responsibility for the arrest of the purpertrators. It seems the five have admitted to the act but the police have not as yet interrogated the woman as she is being held at a hospital remote from the area. She was transported there as the initial facility could not handle the extent of her injuries.

The woman was apparently traveling alone which by some buddhist faiths schools is not allowed to be done. I don't know if this violates the personal rules of that nunery.
The woman was carrying a unusually large sum of money which appears to have been stolen. The money was to be used by the womans father to purchase a new home. The woman tried to enter a nunery at dharmsala last year but was unsuccessful apparently. Most reports state a large amount of money was necessary to enroll at that nunery.

The woman father states the police will impede the investigation of the matter for some reason. The father noted that upon her daughters leaving for the trip that a buffalo used by the father(he is a farmer) died, which was considered a very inauspicious omen.

Their is some variance in the accounts of this they do seem to vary a bit.This is the most I can gather and reasonably assume by finding what is common in most accounts.

That buddhism be seen in a bad light is part and partial to the agenda of the maoists in the areas of nepal.
The maoists are in direct confliction with the religious nature and scope of the prior holders of power in the region which had some buddhist, some hindu componant to it.

So that is offered as backround. Not perfect but it may answer a few questions asked.
Most seem to match was is posted and linked to on the first page. A bit of addition is possible from other source.
If there is a explusion issue I would surmise it would revolve over the being alone at night in transit as a nun with no accompaniant, especially at night.
If that violates the nunery rules that would allow for the expulsion as a completely seperate issue from the rape.
Nuns in many schools of buddhism in asian geographical areas have more restrictive requirements of movement and other things, then do monks.
Though the published articles do not mention that at all.
It is thought to protect them are the rules purpose most would state assumedly.

I would expect maoist proponants would customarily present buddhism and other faiths as being representations of a past way of doing things. A way in which the religious were considered unbending inhumane and stolid. Depending upon how this event is presented, that may approximate that view in those areas.
Relatedly tamils would present similiar things against buddhist monks in media, which when studied, were misleading during the hayday of the conflict between hindu tamils and buddhist southern sri lankans. So such is not unknown to occur. MIsleading for purpose.

I would suggest if one wanted to help this situation the help would be not in the form of influencing the nunery but on working to replace the funds stolen and the medical bills, from this poor woman. Contacting the reporter on the story may be a start. But that may be a very difficulate thing to enable. In these areas.... whatever is sent by mail will most likely be stolen in transit I would expect. We cannot envision in the west how things are in other places, a thing as basic as maii for instance.
That is my personal opinion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby muni » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 pm

There is many reaction on. How it will turn..

This hardship also can be used, even very difficult, to increase insight-compassion by embracing in mind what happened, an example of sick behaviour, of delusion.

If not there is a victim and one harms own being even more with self pity and hatred "towards". It can get a place on our memory chip and keep one entangled in own painful emotions long time.

Right now nun or not nun, she must not leave Dharma. May she be guided in this with all needful skills!
Falling down into thoughts' stream, identification arises.
muni

Postby muni » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:53 pm

muni

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Lazy_eye wrote:
Is this a standard interpretation of the rules in Vajrayana...

No.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby rory » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:23 am

What does being a virgo intacta have to do with the Dharma? Nothing Sexism & I hope she got a morning-after pill to prevent conception. Is rape common there? I wonder what is going on, didn't these men think they'd be discovered.
gassho
Rory
Dharani of Amoghapasa Avalokitesvara:

Om amogha-padma-pasa-krodhakarsaya praveshaya maha-pashupati-yama-varuna-kuvera
brahma-vesa-dhara padma-kula-samayan hum hum

heart mantra: Om amogha vijaya hum phat
rory

Postby muni » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 pm

KATHMANDU: A 21-year-old Buddhist nun from Nepal, who was said to have "lost" her religion and become unfit to remain a nun after being gangraped, is now likely to be re-admitted to her nunnery, thanks to a growing outrage worldwide. The young woman, who is now battling for her sanity in a hospital in Kathmandu, can return to the Karma Samtenling Nunnery at Pharping after she recovers and is discharged from the hospital, an authoritative Buddhist body in Nepal said.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 39x1537812
muni

Previous

Return to News & Current Events